By Rachel and Brian, core 6
by Rachel Murphy and Brian Greco, core 6
To examine the effects of acidic substances’ reaction with non-acidic limestone chalk, modeling the effects of acid rain.
When submerged in the acidic liquids, the chalk will begin to disintegrate or completely dissolve.
4. Experiment Variation
•Chalk is calcium carbonate (CaC03)
• Vinegar/LJ react with chalk
• Erode to form calcium (Ca) and C02
•When in the acidic liquids, the chalk began to disintegrate
• Even in water, some wearing away could be seen
• Vinegar and lemon juice are acids: 1 and 2 on the PH scale
• The process displayed in this experiment models acid rain
by Rachel Murphy and Brian Greco