Welcome!. Baltimore Polytechnic Institute Honors World History Mr. Green. Agenda/Topics To Be Covered. Objective: The students will explain the Industrialization by identifying the causes of Industrialization in Great Britain Hand-In: Drill:
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
Baltimore Polytechnic Institute
Honors World History
Objective: The students will explain the Industrialization by identifying the causes of Industrialization in Great Britain
1. Explain entrepreneurs and their impact on a society.
2. How does technology impact individuals, societies, and nations?
Began in Great Britain in the 1780’s
1. agrarian revolution-expansion of farmland, good weather, improved transportation, new crops-increased food supply
2. Population grew with increased food supply-Parliament fenced off land which forced peasants to move to towns-cheap labor
3. capital to invest/laissez-faire economy
4. natural resources-rivers for power/transportation, coal, iron ore
5. supply of markets
Cotton production is a 2-step process
spinners made cotton thread from raw cotton
weavers wove cotton thread into cloth on looms in their homes
New machines took this process into factories and away from homes
James Hargreaves (1764)-spinning jenny
Factories located near streams
Steam Engine-James Watt (1782)-coal fired engine to spin/weave cotton
What is this impact on the location of factories?
Coal is the fuel for forging iron
Iron ore used to make iron
Henry Cort-puddling: process to burn away impurities in crude iron (pig iron) to produce a high quality iron
The factory system develops:
1. shift work
2. repetitive tasks
3. harsh working environment
4. child labor
Transportation to link cities of production and manufacturing
Identify the ripple effects in the economy caused by railroads
Describe 4 factors that contributed to making Great Britain the starting place for the Industrial Revolution.
Read and review all of chapter 11
Identify 7 inventors and their invention or discovery.