Chapter 4 – Part 1 Essays for Test. Section 1. How did Philip II extend Spain’s power and help establish a golden age? 2. Philip II asserted absolute power, waged war, and supported the arts, all to extend Spain’s power and prestige. Why did Spanish power and prosperity decline?
2. Philip II asserted absolute power, waged war, and supported the arts, all to extend Spain’s power and prestige.
4. Costly wars, inflation, bad economic choices, and faulty leadership caused Spain’s decline.
Section 2 a golden age?
3. Because he was a Huguenot, Henry IV’s conversion united France by healing the division between Huguenots and Catholics.
5. They wanted to keep the balance of power so they would not be dominated by France or any other European nation.
Section 4 France’s plans to expand?
3. The war depopulated the German states and weakened their unity, resulting in the emergence of many small independent states.
4. Austria and Prussia; build a strong state, and extend their territory.
5. European nations maintained a balance of power through wars and shifting alliances.
Section 5 Thirty Years War? How were the goals of these two nations similar?
3. Goals: to westernize, strengthen the military, expand Russian borders, and centralize royal power.
Reforms: bring the church under his control, force boyars to serve the state, force changes in social customs, strengthen serfdom, import technology, improve education, and build military power.
4. Russian seaports, located along the Arctic Ocean, were frozen over during the winter. A warm-water port would allow Russia to increase trade and become a major power.