Chapter 4 & 18 review. 1. What are the characteristics of living organisms? (on webquest ) Made up of at least one cell Has DNA Needs energy and a food source to survive Grows Has a metabolism Maintains homeostasis Responds to stimuli from environment Reproduces
1. What are the characteristics of living organisms? (on webquest)
2. Would a virus be considered living? Why or why not?
- Not made of cells
- Not all have DNA (some do)
- Do NOT need food
- Do NOT grow
- Do NOT have a metabolism
- Do NOT maintain homeostasis
- Do NOT reproduce on own (use host cell)
3. What (and when) did Hooke discover?
Robert Hooke (in 1665):
First person to see cells (cork), named cells
4. What (and when) did van Leeuwenhoek discover?
5. List the parts of the cell theory
- All living organisms are made up of one or more cells
- Cells are the basic unit of structure and function in a living organism
- Cells come only from the reproduction of existing cells
6. Do all cells look the same? Average cell size?
7. Describe “Form Fits Function”. Explain a cellular example.
8. What does selectively permeable mean?
9. Describe the cell of a prokaryotic organism. Give an example
11. What is the difference between prokaryotic and eukaryotic cells?
12. What do all cells have in common?
13. What is binomial nomenclature?
14. 3 Domains:
15. Who created the Kingdom system? List the categories from most general to specific
- Linnaeus: Swedish scientist, devised heirarchical classification system, created binomial nomenclature system
Kingdom Phylum Class Order Family Genus Species
Domain Kingdom Phylum Class Order Family Genus Species
16. Characteristics of: