Sunshine Care Training Sarah Yorwerth & Tara Hollinshead. Fire Safety. Home Prevention and Preparedness. Many fires in the home are caused by a single moment of carelessness and could easily be prevented.
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
Sunshine Care Training
Sarah Yorwerth & Tara Hollinshead
Many fires in the home are caused by a single moment of carelessness and could easily be prevented.
It is important to be aware of possible fire hazards around the home and to take steps to protect you and your clients from fire.
A Vast majority of our Service Users are elderly, and have collected many things over the years. It is very important to maintain a safe environment, but reducing the hazards an ensuring there a clear fire exits and no trip hazards.
Take extra Care- Do not leave pans on the hob when unattended
Make sure saucepan handles don’t stick out.
Keep tea towels and cloths away from the hob.
Keep electrical appliances and leads away from fires.
Check toasters are clean and away from kitchen roll.
Keep oven, hob and grill clean. Fat and Grease can cause fires!
Do not put anything metal or silver/gold trim in the microwave.
Make sure food is dry before putting in hot oil.
If the oil starts to smoke, turn off the head and leave to cool.
Never throw water over a burning pan.
Always check that the right fuse is in place
Make sure the appliance has a British or European safety mark when you buy it.
Try and keep one plug to one socket.
Check for loose wiring, scorch marks, hot plugs and sockets, fuses that blow or circuit breakers that trip for no obvious reasons, or flickering lights.
Unplug appliances after use.
Replace any old cables and leads, behind furniture and under carpets and mats.
Electric Blankets are ideal in the winter for keeping a warm bed!
It is recommended that electric blankets over 3 years old are serviced annually by a qualified electrician.
Electric blankets should be stored flat.
Unplug before you get into bed, unless there is a thermostat control that is safe to use overnight.
Sunshine Care’s policy on Electric Blankets, is that the Service User signs a Disclaimer for the use of Electric Blankets.
It is important that your Service User has done this.
Check for incontinence issues!
No hot water bottles
Did you know?
Each year 20 people are killed and 250 people are injured.
Faulty blankets cause 1,000 household fires a year.
Electric blankets that are 10years old + are responsible or 99% of electric blanket fires in the UK.
Portable Heaters are ideal for warming up a room quickly.
Try to secure heater up against a wall to stop the falling over.
Keep them clear from curtains and furniture and never use them for drying clothes.
Stub cigarettes out properly and dispose of them carefully. Put them out! Right out!
Never smoke in bed
Use a proper ashtray- not a wastepaper bin.
Put a drop of water in the ashtray- do not overload.
Don’t leave a lit cigarette.
Report any careless smoking
Did you know?
420 people killed and 13,000 are injured each year
A majority of these were over 65.
Make sure candles are secure in a proper holder away from materials and furniture
Put candles out when leaving the house.
Use a snuffer or a spoon to put them out
Do not leave alone with children.
Did you know?
In the year 2000, 2000 house fires due to candles.
As a result 10 people died and 900 were injured.
Always read carefully the manufacturer instructions.
Do not allow the oil to burn low or burn out.
Check for scorch marks, burning smells or anything that could indicate fault.
Do not place near clothing or combustible materials.
Do not light candles, lanterns, fires and cookers, and DO NOT smoke whilst on Oxygen.
Keep Oxygen at least 6ft away from heat sources such as paraffin heaters, gas heaters, candles, cigarettes and fire places.
Keep a fire extinguisher within easy reach
Inform the local fire station about having oxygen at home.
Make sure fire alarms are fitted and working.
Make sure there is an oxygen sticker on their car for transportation.
Ensure you familiarise yourself with the environment, you need to know how to escape
Make sure exit routes are clear.
Ensure your Service User has an exit route, and access to a key.
Always have a second exit route.
Be aware of your clients abilities.
Look for a clearly marked exit sign
DO NOT tackle fires yourself, leave it to the professionals.
If you are UNABLE to exit.
Get as far away from the fire as possible.
Get low to the floor
Have a damp cloth over your face.
Cover gaps in doors with damp towels or material.