Loading in 2 Seconds...
Loading in 2 Seconds...
Team Members : Pramod Varshney, Can Isik, Chilukuri Mohan, H. Ezzat Khalifa, Onur Ozdemir, Ramesh Rajagopalan, Priyadip Ray, James Smith, Jensen Zhang. Management Of The Built Environment To Reduce Exposure Risk. Outline. SAC 2005 - Main Concerns Problem Definition
Team Members: Pramod Varshney, Can Isik, Chilukuri Mohan, H. Ezzat Khalifa,
Onur Ozdemir, Ramesh Rajagopalan, Priyadip Ray,
James Smith, Jensen Zhang
“New research shows that higher IAQ improves health, learning and productivity” - Dr. Ole Fanger
“I predict a dramatic change in HVAC technology in the future” - Dr. Ole Fanger
Implement cost effective personal control of the microenvironment, which enhances individual health, satisfaction and productivity, by integrating sensing, intelligent information processing and distributed control,.
* ASHRAE Std. 62 2004 allows for ventilation rates based on both occupancy and floor area. A DCV system based only on CO2 will address the people component but not the passive component.
* S.Atthajariyakul, T. Leephakpreeda,”Real-time determination of optimal indoor-air condition for thermal comfort, air quality and efficient energy usage”, Energy and Buildings, vol.36, pp. 720-733, 2004
For the same total airflow rate, we compare two alternatives:
Simulated concentration profile of a gaseous pollutant released in still air at a point
in a room of 9m x 10m x 6m dimensions with source located at (5,5,0)
Probability of detecting whether pollutant concentration exceeds a predefined threshold
* H.Zhang, B.Krogh, J.F. Moura and W.Zhang,”Estimation in virtual sensor-actuator arrays using reduced-order physical models”, 43rd IEEE Conference on Decision and Control, December 14-17,Atlantis, 2004.
y = g(X) + n
where, the random error/noise (n) is zero-mean, X is a d-dimensional vector (e.g., Position coordinates of sensors) and y is a scalar output (e.g., concentration of CO2)
: Location of sensors
The objective is the real time estimation
of concentration value at point C from the
One realization of the spatial profile of CO2 and location of sensors
How many sensors are adequate ?
Summary : About 70 sensors are adequate for MSE of 0.06;
additional sensors do not significantly improve MSE
Future Work: Reduced order models for building inter-zonal
transport (Task 3.2) will provide more realistic and computationally
faster models to test our algorithms
In collaboration with Reline Technology, India;
University of Technology, Sydney, Australia
*More details about this experimental test-bed are provided in subsequent slides
Possible Locations of SNAPs
* M.L. Anderson, M.R. Buehner, P.M. Young, D.C. Hittle, C. Anderson, J. Tu, and D. Hodgson, “An Experimental System for Advanced Heating, Ventilating, and Air Conditioning (HVAC) Control”, to appear in Energy and Buildings, 2006
* M.L. Anderson, M.R. Buehner, P.M. Young, D.C. Hittle, C. Anderson, J. Tu, and D. Hodgson, “MIMO Robust Control for Heating, Ventilating, and Air Conditioning (HVAC) Systems”, submitted to IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology, 2005