Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use only and may not be sold or licensed nor shared on other sites. SlideServe reserves the right to change this policy at anytime. While downloading, If for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
1. Hofstede and Trompenaars Cultural Dimensions by
Sigrid Brevik Wangsness
2 and 16 March 2011
2. Geert Hofstede: Cultures Consequences (1980,2nd ed. 2001)
Who is Geert Hofstede? What kind of competence/ experience does he have?
When did Hofstede's legendary national culture research take place?
Outline the main aspects of Hofstedes original study. Any subsequent studies?
3. Geert Hofstede: Cultures and Organizations: Software of the Mind (1991, 2nd ed. 2005, 3rd ed. 2010)
Explain Hofstedes concept of culture.
Explain Hs model for understanding culture and cultural differences = his four dimensions.
What is his fifth dimension? Why was that added? Explain his new sixth dimension.
4. Hofstedes study of national cultures
Look at the index scores of Hs cultural dimensions. Discuss if this is a useful way of differentiating between cultures.
Find the index scores for your culture. Is this a correct description of it, do you think?
Despite Hofstedes position as a guru, his study has been criticized. Why do you think?
5. Fons Trompenaars and Charles Hampden-Turner: Riding the Waves of Culture What kind of competence /experience do these authors have? Explain the main aspects of their research. What kind of book is this? (What did Hofstede say about it?)
According to the authors, what does this book attempt to do?
The authors are critical of many modern management philosophies. Why? (Examples, for instance pay-for-performance)
6. Fons Trompenaars and Charles Hampden-Turner: The Meaning of Culture Explain in some detail what T and H-T mean by culture, including the concepts of layers, norms vs. values, basic assumptions.
Which other authors use a similar model?
To what extent do people of the same culture have identical norms and values? Cp. the French and American cultures from the point of view of normal distribution. Explain.
7. Fons Trompenaars and Charles Hampden-Turner: The Basis of Cultural Differences
According to T and H-T, there are three major categories of human experience (universal problems) that distinguish cultures. Which?
T and H-T identify seven fundamental dimensions of culture. Which? Explain.
8. Fons Trompenaars and Charles Hampden-Turner: The Basis of Cultural Differences
Study Ts examples of cultural dilemmas. Find the scores for your culture. Is this a correct description of it, do you think?
What are the major differences between T&H-Ts dimensions and the categorizations you have studied earlier? (Compare f. ex. Gesteland, Hofstede and Trompenaars).
9. Fons Trompenaars and Charles Hampden-Turner: The Basis of Cultural Differences
How do T and H-T define and explain stereotyping, and what are the dangers they see in using cultural stereotypes?
T and H-T insist that cultures are not static points on a dual axis map, and thus their categories are not mutually exclusive (vs. Hofstede). How do they perceive the positions of cultures on the various dimensions?