CONTROL OF RESPIRATION. Lecture - 7 Dr. Zahoor Ali Shaikh. Control Of Respiration. Respiratory process is involuntary process, but under voluntary control as we can stop breathing. Respiratory center is in the brain stem. It causes rhythmic breathing pattern of inspiration and expiration.
Lecture - 7
Dr. Zahoor Ali Shaikh
1. Center that generate inspiration and expiration.
2. Factors that regulate rate and depth of respiration .
- Inspiratory center
- Expiratory center
These are neuronal cells that provide output to respiratory muscles for inspiration and expiration.
- Pneumotaxic center – upper pons
- Apneustic center – lower pons
Pontine Center influence the output from medullary centers.
Medullary respiratory center
1. Dorsal Respiratory Group [DRG] – Inspiratory neuron.
2. Ventral Respiratory Group [VRG] – Expiratory neuron.
Generation of respiratory rhythm
‘Pneumotaxic & Apneustic Centers’
1. Peripheral Chemoreceptors
2. Central Chemoreceptors
PCO2 , H+ ion.
Carotid bodies [cont]
CO2 + H2O H+ + HCO3-
Effect On Peripheral Chemoreceptors
Effect On Central Chemoreceptors
-Decreased PO2 in the arterial blood – depresses the central chemoreceptors.