6/4/2012. An Age of Democracy and Progress. 2. Inventions Change Way of Life. Edison ? 1000 inventions, light bulb and phonograph. Started research labAlexander Graham Bell - teacher of deaf students ? telephone.Ford ? American mechanic, assembly line to build cars. Model T sold for $850 in 1908
1. 6/4/2012 An Age of Democracy and Progress 1 19th Century Progress Breakthroughs in science and technology transformed daily life and entertainment.
2. 6/4/2012 An Age of Democracy and Progress 2 Inventions Change Way of Life Edison – 1000 inventions, light bulb and phonograph. Started research lab
Alexander Graham Bell - teacher of deaf students – telephone.
Ford – American mechanic, assembly line to build cars. Model T sold for $850 in 1908. Lowered price as productions costs fell to $300
Wright Brothers – bicycle mechanics, 1903 flew a gas-powered flying machine for 50 seconds, 1st aircraft
3. 6/4/2012 An Age of Democracy and Progress 3 The Rise of Mass Culture Public education – increased literacy. Books, newspapers, magazines
Printing presses – made publications affordable
Phonograph, records – music into people’s homes
Working day limited to 10 hours, week was Monday – Friday, and ½ day on Saturday. Created weekend and time for relaxation.
Music halls and vaudeville
Movies invented – 1900 first feature films
Sports – Olympics 1896
4. 6/4/2012 An Age of Democracy and Progress 4 New Ideas in Medicine and Science Germ theory of disease, Louis Pasteur mid-1800s
Darwin’s Theory of Evolution – 1859 Origin of Species
Mendel and Genetics – how traits are passed on to generations
Chemistry and Physics – Dalton, atoms, Mendeleev – Periodic table of elements
Marie and Peter Curie - radioactivity
5. 6/4/2012 An Age of Democracy and Progress 5 Social Sciences Psychology – study of human mind and behavior
Pavlov – conditioned behavior Pavlov’s dog
Sigmund Freud – how the unconscious mind drives people to think and act
Challenged ideas of the Enlightenment, that reason was supreme. Questioned idea that humans could perfect themselves and society through reason.