Lead-Acid Battery Recycling in Baltic Countries. By Ecometal Ltd. Ecometal Ltd. overview. Founded in 1999 Amount of investments made – 6 mil. EUR Production started in 2003 Total capacity of recycling up to 20 000 tons of batteries annually Number of employees – 53 (as of May 2007).
By Ecometal Ltd.
The recycling process in Ecometal Ltd. includes
Ecometal Ltd generates and manages the following wastes:
Ecometal AS is modern factory for recycling lead-acid batteries that was created in accordance with the principal goals of the Estonian Environmental Strategy and the Environmental Activity Plan: the development of waste management, decreasing waste production, and the stimulation of recycling. Therefore, environment-friendly activity is one of our main interests and a precondition of our long-term business activities.
1. All recyclers of the batteries should have same requirements for the technology in use and environmental control over the activity. These requirements should be equal to every company in such field of business and that rule should be applied in all Baltic States equally to meet the requirements of the Battery Directive of the EU
2. Stronger control over the fulfillment of Basel Convention and relevant EU regulations and directives for movement of hazardous waste between Baltic countries.
Suggestions for unified battery collection and recycling system in Baltic countries:
3. Equal system of Producers Liability should be applied in all Baltic States. It should be concerted and harmonized
4. All information on national licences and permits on recovery or disposal of hazardous waste and hazardous waste import-export permissions should be available in Internet.
5. Authorities should assure the recycling of lead-acid batteries with best available technology by allowing the trans-boundary movement of such waste to the nearest controlled relevant recycler.