The Bluest Eye - Autumn : Chapter 1 Page 5. Autumn: Chapter 1 Page 5. Starts with: “Nuns go by as quiet as lust, and drunken men with sober eyes sing” Ends with: “Adults do not talk to us - they give us directions”. Rosemary Villanucci. “Rosemary Villanucci, our next-door friend”
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
The Bluest Eye -Autumn : Chapter 1 Page 5
Starts with: “Nuns go by as quiet as lust, and drunken men with sober eyes sing”
Ends with: “Adults do not talk to us - they give us directions”
“Rosemary Villanucci, our next-door friend”
- They call her ‘next-door friend’, instead of calling her a neighbour almost as if she cant be classed as just their neighbour.
“Sits in a 1939 Buick eating bread and butter”
- Bread and butter is typical white food, and the Buick helps represent her wealth.
- It shows how white people do a lot more luxurious things.
“Grown ups talk in tired, edgy voices about Zick’s Coal Company”
“We fill burlap sacks with they tiny pieces of coal lying about”
- they don’t have much of a childhood, forced to work since they were young.
“Glancing back so see the great carloads of slag being dumped, red hot and smoking”
“Our house is old, cold and green”
- The use of the word ‘green’ symbolises the rotting and mould of the house.
- Morrison has used assonance to emphasise the simplicity of the house with the word ‘old, cold’
“A kerosene lamp lights one large room”
- This shows the audience that they live in a simple house, and that they are not wealthy.
“The others are braced in darkness, peopled by roaches and mice”
- This shows the lack of hygiene within the house.
- The use of the word ‘braced’ makes it seem as if they are waiting for something to happen in the darkness
“sits in a 1939 Buick eating bread and butter”
“Take us along in the evening to the railroad tracks where we fill burlap sacks with tiny pieces of coal”
“At night a kerosene lamp lights one large room”
- Kerosene lamps were mainly used by poor people