Nutritional Content on Fast Food Restaurant Menu’s and the ACA. By Kirstie Linza. Affordable Care Act. What is it?. What is the focus of the law?. Expanding health insurance coverage (for individuals and small businesses) Control health care costs Improve health care delivery system.
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
By Kirstie Linza
What is it?
What is the focus of the law?
Expanding health insurance coverage (for individuals and small businesses)
Control health care costs
Improve health care delivery system
“Implement Section 4205 of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act – Nutrition Labeling of standard menu items for chain restaurants, similar retail food establishments and vending machines. Providing understandable and accurate food labeling will aid consumers in selecting more healthful diets.”
Importance of this law?
By B. Elbel, J Gyamfi, and R. Kersh
No caloric differences were observed before or after labeling.
57% noticed calorie information after labeling in NYC (only 18% in NJ)
9% were influenced in their meal choice
9% purchased fewer calories
Short study period
Studying food behavior changes = extremely difficult to change
A little over half of the people noticed the calorie information…
But there was no significant effect on purchasing behavior…
What do you think about the outcome of this study?
http calorie labeling: a natural experiment://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtLyIXxWqBM
By C. Roberto, P. Larson, H. Agnew, J. Baik, and K. Brownell
Calorie values were estimated through dietary recalls
No price information on menu
Participants were not followed over time
Convenience sample (highly educated)
1. Focus on Health Reform: summary of the Affordable Care Act. 2013; http://kaiserfamilyfoundation.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/8061-021.pdf. Accessed October 09, 2013, 2013.
2. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. Guidance for Industry: Questions and Answers Regarding the Effect of Section 4205 of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act of 2010 on State and Local Menu and Vending Machine Labeling Laws 2013; http://www.fda.gov/Food/GuidanceRegulation/GuidanceDocumentsRegulatoryInformation/LabelingNutrition/ucm223408.htm. Accessed October 09, 2013, 2013.
3. Group BEaHR. All Fast Food Places: 2005. 2013.
4. ElbelB, Gyamfi J, Kersh R. Child and adolescent fast-food choice and the influence of calorie labeling: a natural experiment. International Journal of Obesity. 2011;35(4):493-500.
5. Roberto C, Larsen P, Agnew H, Baik J, Brownell K. Evaluating Impact of Menu Labeling on Food Choices and Intake. American Journal of Public Health. 2010;100(2):312-317.
6. Obesity YRCfFPa. Fast Food F.A.C.T.S. 2013; http://www.fastfoodmarketing.org/fast_food_facts_in_brief.aspx. Accessed October 09, 2013, 2013.