Civil War - Part 1. Introduction and Opening Shot. Why is it called the “Civil” War?. Definitions of civil on the Web:. applying to ordinary citizens; of or occurring within the state or between or among citizens of the state;. Why is it called the “Civil” War?.
Civil War - Part 1
Why is it called the “Civil” War?
Only two choices in wars: Civil War and every other kind of war.
Civil War= Your own country is the enemy. For example – The Civil War was a fight of Americans vs. Americans on American soil.
Charleston, South Carolina
Was the South justified in attacking the Union for wanting to resupply Fort Sumter?
1) 1st Major battle of the Civil War.
2) People were shocked by the huge number of casualties.
3) Northern soldiers retreat…South doesn’t follow but doeswin the battle.
4) Both the North and the South realized it was not going to be a quick bloodlesswar.
The Southern Armies were under the command of General Robert E. Lee.
The South won several battles over the North in 1861-1862.
General Lee decided to invade the North.
We discussed that the South had an initial strategy to be defensive, why do you think they would invade the North?
1) He hoped a win on Northern soil would force President Lincoln to sign a peace treaty ending the war.
2) He also hoped that England or France would see how strong the South was and help the Southern side.
September 17, 1862
The North and the South met at a place called Antietam, which was actually a creek.
They fought all day.
At the end of the day the Union declared victory.
1) Antietam was the single bloodiest day in American History.
Both sides added together, had 23,000 casualties.
2) It was the victory Lincoln had been waiting for.
After the battle, Lincoln gave the Emancipation Proclamation.
January 1, 1863
Freed all the slaves in the South.
Not the slaves in the North.
Because he didn’t want to lose the border states. (MO, KY, MD, & DE)