September 18, 2012. As good teachers weave the fabric that joins them with students and subjects, the heart is the loom on which the threads are tied….
September 18, 2012
As good teachers weave the fabric that joins them with students and subjects, the heart is the loom on which the threads are tied….
Small wonder then, that teaching tugs at the heart, opens the heart and even breaks the heart – and the more one loves teaching, the more heartbreaking it can be.
- Palmer, 1997
Do any images, words or audio effects stand out for you?
Brick, metal, concrete, lock
Bamboo, flowers, trees
Subdued, “heavy” vs. “Moving forward”
Explain, accept as fact, give into, cause to learn, punish
Inspire, empower, mentor, advisor, guide, build character
Education is the kindling of a flame, not the filling of a vessel
Host/Guest Discussion: "The Heart of the Teacher"
(20 minutes of staff group time)
Whole group sharing: One major focus of discussion or one question arising from discussion
Because inquiry a way of learning meant to engage students. It is a vital part of the Sask. curriculum. (discover, understand, apply knowledge about a subject of interest)
Because technology is a way of engaging students. Technological literacy IS literacy.
HOW DO WE BEGIN ?
3. Inform instructor of the technologies and subject area you will be focusing on. (you can make adaptations as time goes on) and sign up for presentation date- Nov. 6, Nov. 13 or Nov. 20
(this sign up will take place NEXT WEEK)
4. Decide whether your presentation (approx 30 min in length) will be a demonstration, a hands-on experience for the group, or both. (I will gladly book the laptop cart if you wish)
a) Should the classroom be a democracy or a monarchy. State reasons for your choice.
b) Is inner tension (discomfort) necessary for growth as a teacher?
c) Meeting the needs of the students and meeting my needs as a teacher can be in conflict. Do you agree with this statement?
Connecting to Prior Knowledge
1. Previous ECS experiences
2. Your own experience of schooling
- the only profession where everyone has about 15 years experience
- can be positive or negative
- we have presumptions (imitate teachers we know and like)
- setting is familiar, role is not
3. Autobiographical knowledge
-family and personal experiences outside of school; previous careers
4. Your experience working in schools and with youth
5. Views of teaching encountered in the media
- powerful but partial
6. Your beliefs and misconceptions
- about inclusion
- can EVERY child learn?
- subject integration
- what a classroom should look like
- about homework