首届 “ 外教社杯 ” 全国大学英语教学大赛 组别：综合课. New College English. Integrated Course 2. Unit 4. Text A A Virtual Life Maia Szalavitz. Chatting online. Playing games. Searching for information. Virtual Life. problems. Sending Emails. Shopping. Watching movies.
Text A A Virtual Life
Searching for information
Listening to music
This text was written in 1996 by an American writer who lived in New York City.
“Hi! I am Maia Szalavitz. Today, I will take you to my virtual world. There is so much I want you to see, and hear and feel. I know there are a lot of problems. That’s why I have tried to return to the real life. But it just doesn’t work. I think I’d rather stay with my computer. I feel much safer there.”
1. Maia’s self-introduction (paragraphs 2 - 3)
2. Maia’s virtual life in detail (paragraphs 1,4 – 10)
3. Maia’s efforts to return to the real life (paragraphs11 -12)
4. Maia’s choice of the virtual life in the end
manage money online
1. How does she respond to the sounds of daily life and how does she feel about time ?
2. What are the changes in her personality?
3. How does she get along with people online?
“After staying online for too long, even a phone call can be a . My boyfriend’s Liverpool suddenly becomes impossible to interpret. itself becomes fluid. There are changes in my . I find myself shyer, more cautious, more . I have become bad tempered and easily angered. I everyone in sight, including my . What a crazy life!”
“Being face to face is too much.”
“I run to the computer as though it were a place of safety…I enter my password. The real world disappears.”
“Happily Addicted to the Web”
If you have a friend who is addicted to the Internet, what will you do to help him or her?