Queen Anne’s Revenge. By: Tyreke Jones.
Queen Anne’s Revenge
By: Tyreke Jones
Originally called the Concord, the 300 ton vessel now known as called the Queen Anne’s Revenge was built in 1710. It was captured by the French the following year. The ship was then modified to hold more cargo. It was then again renamed La Concorde de Nantes.
The slave ship was then again captured by the pirate Captain Benjamin Hornigold on November 28, 1717 near the island of Martinique. Hornigold then turned the ship over to one of his pirates Edward Tech, who is notoriously known as Blackbeard, and made him captain. Blackbeard made the La Concorde into his flagship added guns and renamed it Queen Anne’s Revenge.
Shortly after blocking the Charleston harbor and refusing the Governors’ pardon, Blackbeard ran Queen Anne’s Revenge aground tempting to enter Beaufort inlet, North Carolina. Blackbeard disbanded his flotilla and escaped by transferring supplies to a smaller ship called the Adventure. The pirate captain abandoned several crew members on a small island nearby. They were later captured by captain Stede Bonnet.
Some sources suggest that Blackbeard deliberately grounded the ships as an excuse to disperse the crew. Shortly afterward, he surrendered and accepted a royal pardon for his remaining crew and himself from Governor Charles Eden at Bath, North Carolina.