Investment Opportunity in Nepal . Prof. Sri Ram Poudyal , Ph.D . Chairman, Institute of Policy Research Government of Nepal Board Director, Nepal Rastra Bank. Introduction about Nepal. Current Economic Status (2013). Status of FDI in world. Nepal ranking in world.
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
Investment Opportunity in Nepal
Prof. Sri Ram Poudyal, Ph.D.
Chairman, Institute of Policy Research
Government of Nepal
Board Director, Nepal Rastra Bank
S : < NRS 30 million
M : NRS 30 >= 100 million
L: 100 million and over
1. Hydropower projects above 500MW.
2. Roads and transportation infrastructure – key focus projects will include a Kathmandu-Terai fast track road project, mid-hill highway, and north-south corridor connecting India and China.
3. Airports – Construction of a second international airport and overhaul of the existing Tribhuvan International Airport (TIA), upgrading of regional airports - key to commerce and tourism development.
4. Agribusiness and Medicinal herb processing facilities.
5. Solid Waste Management & Treatment, Chemical Fertilizer Industries, and Petroleum Refineries.
6. Banks and Financial Institutions – establishment of an infrastructure financing institution, BFI with more than 51% foreign ownership, Insurance and re-Insurance companies.
7. Medical colleges, Hospitals and Nursing Homes with three hundred beds or more.
8. Special Economic Zones - They can be catalytic in attracting investors, bringing new technologies and jobs in the short to medium term, while providing a useful framework as a pilot and testing ground for broader economic reforms in the country.
9. Any “Infrastructure or Service Industry” (means any industry in construction, mining, tourism and aviation) that has a paid up capital or project cost exceeding Rs. 10 billion.
Threshold for FDI: US$ 50 thousand
Foreign investors are permitted to own up to 100 percent equity share in industries except in the following areas.
> NRs. 10 bln.
Application at DOI
> NRs. 2 bln.
Approved by Industrial Promotion Board
Application at IB
Industry Registration/Tax Registration
Director General of DOI
Issuance of FDI Approval Letter
Commissioning of Industry
Department of Industry, October 2013
5 years visa