Lesson Nine Quick Fix Society. Janet Mendell Goldstein. Warming-up: Discussion. What are the advantages and disadvantages of the quick pace of cotemporary life?. Background Information.
Lesson NineQuick Fix Society
Janet Mendell Goldstein
A state of the eastern United States. It was admitted as one of the original Thirteen Colonies in 1787. First explored in the early 1600's, the region was settled by Swedes in 1634 and granted by royal charter to William Penn in 1681.
e.g.: She regards her hour with her daughter at bedtime as quality time.
1. defer to: (formal) to agree (to accept) because of respect
2. digest: (v.) to assimilate; to absorb 消化; 吸收
3. go Dutch: to pay one's own expenses
4. a gorgeous girl; gorgeous view; gorgeous weather
5. ignore: If you ignore someone or something, you pay no attention to them.
6.infect: to infect people, animals, or plants means to cause them to have a disease or illness.
7. quick fix n. (slang) a hastily contrived remedy that alleviates a problem only for the time being 权宜之计:一个匆匆想出的、能暂时缓和问题的对策
8. contract, condense, compress
The pupil（瞳孔）of the eye dilates（扩大） and contracts in response to light.
She sat on the lid of the suitcase to compress the clothes.
The chairman condensed all the suggestions put forward into a single plan of action.
9. slide, slip, glide
The ship slide down into the water.
A submarine glide silently through the water.一艘潜水艇无声地在水中滑行。
He slipped on a patch of ice and sprained his ankle. 他在一块冰上滑了一跤，扭伤了脚踝。