Starting to Body Paragraph. Ms. Torresani. The Body Paragraphs. Each Paragraph in the body section of your paper should include: Topic Sentence Some background information to set up your quotes- not a summary of the book! Signal Phrase which leads into your quote Quote Citation
Solanio says of Shylock’s reaction to losing his daughter:
‘My daughter! O my ducats! O my daughter!
Flend with a Christian! O my Christian ducats!
Justice! The law! My ducats, and my daughter!
A sealed bag, two sealed bags of ducats,
Of double ducats, stol’n from me bymy daughter!
And jewels---two stones, two rich and precious stones,
Stol’n by my daughter! Justice! Find the girl! (2.7.15-20)
Nelly Dean treats Heathcliff poorly and dehumanizes him throughout her narration:
They entirely refused to have it in bed with them, or even in their room, and I had no more sense, so, I put it on the landing of the stairs, hoping it would be gone on the morrow. By chance, or else attracted by hearing his voice, it crept to Mr. Earnshaw's door, and there he found it on quitting his chamber. Inquiries were made as to how it got there; I was obliged to confess, and in recompense for my cowardice and inhumanity was sent out of the house. (Bronte 78)
1) Restate/revisit your thesis
2) Revisit your main ideas in a new way. (Don’t just say the same exact thing you did in the intro.)
3) Explain the overall significance of the ideas expressed in your paper.
4) Tie back and revisit your hook to give a sense of closure.
-If you used a quote, refer back to it.
-If you asked a question, answer it.
-If you introduced an image, refer back to it.
5) End with a final, powerful thought for your readers to remember. Make a REAL WORLD CONNECTION. Why should this matter to the reader? Why did the author decide to write this book? You may decide to make this a larger part of your conclusion.