Unit 1. Tales of the unexplained. In this unit, we will. read a news story about a missing boy and a magazine article about Yetis listen to a dialogue between a boss and his employee talk about aliens and conduct an interview write a report tell a mysterious story.
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
Tales of the unexplained
In this unit, we will
Telling a mysterious story
man-like /ape-like, hairy, fur, short legs, long arms, large hands, huge shoulders, strong and tall
Searching for the Yeti
All over the world.
In 1998 and on the Chinese side of the Himalayas.
3 What does a Yeti look like?
4 What do scientists think of Yetis?
It looks like a human but it has thick black fur and is about six feet tall with huge shoulders, very long arms and large hands.
They convince that Yetis exist while studying the footprints.
Yetis are reported to have been seen all over the world.
Descriptions of Yetis in different places.
Scientists’ different opinions abort Yetis.
Scientists hope to find the truth.
1. There are no Yetis in the world according to the report.
2. An American mountain climber said that he saw a Yeti once.
3. Yetis ran with an amazing speed.
4. Footprints of Yetis are similar to human.
5. Yetis possibly lived in Asia about 3,000,000 years ago.
6. Scientists have solved the mystery.
Representing the story:
reported sightings of yeti
discoveries about yeti’s footprints
evidences about yeti’s appearances provided by witnesses
Yeti: myth or reality?
Do you believe that such a creature exists?
Why or why not?
Careful reading tasks:
Learn the useful expressions and sentence patterns in the article.
Analyze(分析) the writing features(特点) of the article.
1. a wild man-like creature 2. run after
3. on average 4. play a joke
5. run with amazing speed and strength
6. hard evidence supporting the existence of Yeti 7. make its way to…
Analyze the writing features of the article.
Find out the function of each part in the article.
To arouse the readers’ interest
To support Para1 with some details
To make readers think more about Yetis
To give readers imagination with an open ending
Conclude the writing features
1. an interesting and attractive title
2. an attractive beginning
3. details of the story with pictures
4. scientists’ or people’s different opinions
5. an open end of the story
Step fourGroup work
Work in groups of six
Choose a mysterious story you would like to tell
Make an outline
(1) Give an attractive title.
(2) How can you develop your story?
a. What will you tell in the first paragraph?
b. Then, what information can you use to support
c. What end would you like to give to your story?
Discuss and revise your draft.
Tell your story to the class.
Please look at some more pictures to gain intuitionistic
(直观的)impression about some