Structured Workplace Learning (SWL) Fundamentals Boyd Maplestone Melton VET Cluster – Wednesday 4 th February 2009. Overview. Key elements Preparation Confirmation Participation Feedback & Recognition Summary. Key Elements. Enrolled in VET or VCAL
Melton VET Cluster – Wednesday 4th February 2009
- Exploration: site visits, guest speaker, industry projects,
try a trade events, open days
- Presentation, punctuality and communication
- Understanding rights & responsibilities
- Highlight key milestones & set deadlines
- Ensure student & parents clear on milestones & timeframe
- Other teachers aware of dates of placement
a) Checklist – student ask employer
- Hours of work?
- How many breaks and for what time period?
- Who is your supervisor?
- Contact details for supervisor and organisation
- Is the organisation non-for-profit (may effect payment)
- What type of work, activities, how relate to VET course
- Transport to placement (trial run)
b) Checklist – School confirm with student
- OH&S general & Industry specific completed
- Workplacement confirmed with employer
- Structured Workplace Learning Arrangement Form (Ministerial order from No.55) signed
c) Checklist – school to student & parent
- SWL Arrangement form (MO No. 55) filed at school and stored for minimum 5 years.
- Log books/diary distribution
- Communication with Parent
- log book/diary being completed
- student completing job requirements
- check progress with student and employer
- assess safety and any other issues
c) Student completes placement:
- Log book/diary completed & signed off by supervisor
- Reference or referee organised by student
- Western Youth Futures: Education and Industry Awards