January 31, 2013. Agenda: Review the Bicameral Legislature Basic Facts and Leg Branch Review Clicker Quiz How Representative is Congress?. TOC: 98. Senate v House Chart 99. Basic Facts 100. Leg Branch Review 101. Is Congress Representative?.
Review the Bicameral Legislature
Basic Facts and Leg Branch Review
How Representative is Congress?
98. Senate v House
99. Basic Facts
100. Leg Branch
101. Is Congress
1. Which part of the Constitution sets up the Legislative Branch? ___________________________________________________________2. What is another name for the Legislative Branch? ___________________________________________________________
3. What are the two parts of Congress?
_______________________ and __________________________
4. What is the main job of Congress? ________________________________________________________
5. Which branch of the government did the founding fathers think would be the biggest and most powerful?
6. What do we call a legislature made up of two parts? __________________________________________________________
Picture a member of Congress in your head. On your notecard, write down five adjectives to describe this person OR do a quick sketch of the person.
What percentage of the US population is:
4. African American?
Must add to 100%
Must add to 100%
On the back of your notecard, answer this question in a complete paragraph:
IS Congress representative of the gender and ethnic diversity in the United States? Does it need to be?
Define Standing Committees
What is the role of the majority party in standing committees?
What are three examples of standing committees in the House and three in the Senate? (use chart on page 143)
Select Committees: pg 143
What are select committees?
What do they study?
What are two examples of select committee topics?
What are conference committees?
Why do we need them?
What are the members called and where do they come from?
What is the job of a conference committee?
What happens once a conference report reaches the floor?
Joint Committees: pg. 143-144
Who are the members of joint committees?
What do joint committees do?
What do they NOT have the power to do?
What is an example of a joint committee?
Assignment to Committee and Role of Committee Chair: pg144-145
What can assignment on the right committee do for a member of Congress?
What are the best committees in the House
and the Senate?
3. How are members assigned?
4. What are six things Committee Chairs do?
EQ- How does a bill become a law?
Table of Contents:
107. Committee Review
108. Bill to a Law Chart
109. Bill Examples
Review Congress and Committees
Discuss the Bill to a Law Process
Legally Blonde 2
Homework: Work on your children’s book!
1. Copy notes! You will need these, so
don’t lose them!
2. Bill to a Law Process (use the chart
on page 185)
3. Review Legislative Branch (clicker
review & crossword)
4. Work on the Project- Due Friday!!!
(you will not have a page 8,18-19)
5. Senate: 30 years old, six year term, 9 year citizen, upper house, led by the VP, finishes impeachment, approves treaties, represent the whole state, can filibuster
6. Committees: groups in Congress that divide the workload. There are 4 types:
Bill Introduced, for your book and your work this period. Read out loud, given # and Committee
(kill it? Subcommittee assignment, hearings, vote)
Whole Floor Debate and Vote
Conference Committee (compromise bill)
1- sign it = LAW!
2- veto it (can override with 2/3 vote- very rare!)
3- do nothing for 10 days and it becomes a law anyway!
Both houses vote again