Peanuts An Overview of the Peanut Industry in Georgia. Georgia Agricultural Education Curriculum Office Dr. Frank Flanders and Catrina Kennedy September 2006. Objectives. Students will be able to: Explain the importance of the Georgia peanut industry. Name 4 peanut products.
Georgia Agricultural Education Curriculum Office
Dr. Frank Flanders and Catrina Kennedy
Students will be able to:
There are 80 counties in Georgia where peanuts are grown.
The top counties are:
*Sylvester in Worth County is the Peanut Capital of the World.
Top peanut producing states
4. North Carolina
There are four basic types grown in the United States today.
They are: Runner, Spanish, Valencia and Virginia.
Runner peanuts are mainly grown in Alabama, Florida and Georgia, and over half of the runner peanuts grown in the United States are used to make peanut butter.
1. Name 4 peanut products.
2. What percentage of peanuts grown in Georgia are made into peanut butter?
3. What are the top 5 peanut producing states in the U.S.?
4. Name one of the top producing counties in Georgia?
5. What is the official state crop of Georgia?
1. Peanut Butter, gas, paint, etc
3. Georgia, Texas, Alabama, North Carolina, Virginia
4. Worth, Miller, Early, Mitchell, Decatur
Photo from FVSU