The Progressive Era. J. Brumbelow U.S. History Willis High School. Goals of the Progressives. Protect social welfare Create economic reform Political reform of government. Important Terms. Muckraker - reporters and writers who exposed government corruption and the abuses
Willis High School
- reporters and writers who exposed government corruption and the abuses
of big business
- right to vote
- established the federal income tax
- direct election of U.S. Senators. Made
government more responsive to the
- the prohibition of alcohol
- the right to vote for women
- Procedure by which citizens can propose
a law to be place on a ballot.
- A vote on an initiative.
- Procedure by which a public official may
be removed from office by popular vote.
- term used to describe Roosevelt’s attempt
to reform big business by breaking up trusts.
- the preservation of wilderness areas
- regulation of the preparation of foods and the
sale of medicines
- Roosevelt’s political party in the election
of 1912. Roosevelt ran as third party
- led to the Meat Inspection Act and Pure Food & Drug Act.