Unit One . Changes in the Way We Live Phoebe Hu. Outline. Language points. Homework. Presentation. Text comprehension. Presentation . Topic: Where to live, in the Country or in the City 1. City life Advantages: Convenience transportation High living standard Health care
Changes in the Way
Topic: Where to live, in the Country or in the City
1. City life
no pollution, gorgeous scenery, fresh air, high-quality food, close to nature, quietness, peace, inexpensive housing, less pressure, less crime, less traffic:
inconvenient traffic, monotonous life, tough
conditions,lacking facilities and entertainments
3. My preference
1. Comprehension questions
1) What is the farm life like in the writer’s opinions? Please find examples to prove that.
The self-reliant life is satisfying but tough.
2) How can the writer manage to overcome all the hardships?
Part One Paras 1---3
The writer views his life in the country as a
self-reliant and satisfying one.
Part Two Paras 4---7
Life in the country is good yet sometimes
After quitting his job, the writer’s income was
reduced, but he and his family can manage to
Part Four Paras 12---15
A tolerance for solitude and a lot of energy
have made it possible for the family to enjoy
their life in the country.
Difficult sentences in Text A:
1) Line31: There is, as the old saying goes, no rest for the wicked on a place like this -- and not much for the virtuous either.
2) Line51: Will there ever be a better time? The answer, decidedly, was no, and so -- with my employer’s blessings and half a year’s pay in accumulated benefits in my pocket -- off I went.
3) Line60: I’m not making anywhere near as much as I did when I was employed full time…
1Haul (Line 16) vt 1)transport, as with a truck, cart, etc.
The farmers haul vegetables to the market on a
truck every morning.
2）pull or drag sth. with effort or force
Rescue workers hauled passengers out of the
2.Supplement (Line 21) when I was employed full time…
1) vt add to sth. in order to improve it
(followed by with)
The doctor suggested supplementing my diet
with vitamins E and A.
2) n. an additional amount of sth.
She has been ill and must have supplements
to her ordinary food.
Do you read the Sunday color supplements?
3. Get through (Line 45)come successfully to the end when I was employed full time…
The local government has taken some measures to ensure that all the people will get through the winter.
She got through the entrance examination
and was accepted by the college.
4. On balance (Line 54) when I was employed full time…
On balance, it’s probably not advisable to
change the company’s name.
keep one’s balance
lose one’s balance
strike a balance
in the balance
5.Illustrate (Line 56) when I was employed full time…
illustrate, exemplify & demonstrate 都是“举例说明”
Galileo_____________ that objects of different
weights fall at the same speed.
The way that a pump works is used to _________ how the heart sends blood around the body.
Knights ___________ courage and courtesy。
6.When it comes to (Line 64) when I was employed full time…当提到……
People will think of vast stretches of field in a quiet and peaceful atmosphere when it comes to life in the countryside.
Women are not smarter than men when it comes to emotional intelligence, nor are men smarter then women.
7. Generate (Line 61) vt. bring into existence; produce when I was employed full time…
When coal burns, it generates heat.
The widespread use of Spanish in some
American cities has generated a public
debate over language use in the country.
8. Pick up (Line 66) when I was employed full time…
1) be ready to pay 2) take hold of and lift up
3) gain; get 4) improve 5) gather together; collect
6) collect someone or something from a place
Click the sentence to match the definition
＊Where did you pick up your excellent English?
＊ Please pick up all your toys when you’ve finishedplaying.
＊ If he loses the case, Michael will have topick up the bill for legal costs.
＊I’ll pick you up at your hotel.
＊ She picked up a stone and threw it at the window.
＊ Mary has been ill, but she’s picking up now.
Draw up a budget when I was employed full time…
Submit a budget
Balance a budget
Exceed a budget
Cut (back)/reduce a budget
9. Budget (Line ) n. a plan of how to arrange
private or public income or spending
a federal/household/municipal/national budget
10. Scale (Line 85) n. a relative level or degree (usu. used in the phrase on a … scale)
We tested our new teaching methods on a
small scale. Indeed only six classes were
involved in it.
The project was undertaken on a grand
2. Finding the English corresponding words or phrases of the following expressions in the text.
1.过得去 2.寻觅心灵的满足 3.自力更生的生活
4.艰苦的生活 5.日常的家务 6.过冬
7.带着…的祝福 8.总的来说 9.至于
10.除…以外 11.外出吃饭 12.弥补收入差额
13.耐得住寂寞 14.自给自足 15.抵制诱惑
1 following expressions in the text.）get by 2）find contentment
3）a self-reliant life 4）a tough life
5）household routine 6）get through the winter
7） with sb.’s blessings 8）on balance
9） When it comes to 10) apart from
11) dine out 12) make up the difference in income
13) a tolerance for solitude 14) self-sufficiency
15) resist the temptation to do sth.
16) leave with a feeling of sorrow
17) a sense of pride
1.Further thinking: What do you think are possible
ways to improve the quality of our lives? What kind
of life do you pursue?
2.Presentations: Introducing the following background information which will appear in next unit:
G1: From Abraham Lincoln to Barack Obama
G2: The Underground Railroad
3.Appreciating the movie The Great Debaters and your reflections
Which character moves or impresses you most? Which scene moves or impresses you most? Which line moves or impresses you most?
4. Preview Text A in Unit 2 and finish language focus