ACT English Test Prep Lesson 2. Hanyang University GAC Instructor: Samuel Kim. Review. Punctuations – Usages of Comma In a series of adjectives/nouns With introductory phrases starting with gerund or conjunctions (e.g. because) In phrases providing supplementary information.
Instructor: Samuel Kim
Punctuations – Usages of Comma
(1) To introduce a word, a phrase or a statement
He only had one desire in life: to play baseball.
The weather yesterday was very unusual: it rained while the sun was shining.
(2) When a new sentence is started after a colon, the first word in the sentence should be capitalized
May I offer you a suggestion: take their advice.
(3) Before long quotes
The following is the first paragraph of his book:
(4) At the beginning of business letters
To whom it may concern:
(5) To introduce a list
Please send the following files:
(6) Between numbers and time
Ask not what he do for you; ask what you can do for him.
(2) After conjunctions in a list
You need to bring the following to the class:
1) a notebook 3) a compass, and;
2) a calculator 4) a protractor
My neighbor’s dog barks all the time.
My neighbors’ dog barks all the time.
I met Jamie’s friend Nolan yesterday.
I met James’ friend Stephen yesterday.
These are James’.
(2) In contractions
I will not be done by tonight.
I won’t be done by tonight.
You shouldn’t worry too much.
(3) In certain expressions
Do’s and don’ts