Informal Analysis In Organizational Ethics Philip Boyle, Ph.D. Vice President, Mission & Ethics www.CHE.ORG/ETHICS. Goals for today’s conversation. How to identity, study, and address organizational culture and behavior? Medical sociology VOTER method Gaps between policy & practice
Philip Boyle, Ph.D.
Vice President, Mission & Ethics
Informal—examines real practices
External systems—examines liability, laws, regulations, etc.
1. The marketplace is a harsh environment for faith-based institutions.
2. Catholic philanthropy is weak.
3. Catholics operate under outdated institutional assumptions
4. Catholics are opting for secular values.
5. Ecclesiastical culture can be enervating
6. Catholic institutions often have poor political connections
Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room
All the Devils are Here, Bethany Spellman and Joe Nocera
Hospital, Julie Salaman
White Coat, Black Hat, Carl Elliott
All the Popes Men, John Allen
How and why do you think this practice/ritual came about?
What values does this practice support?
What are the unspoken rules?
What does this practice say about:
Don Browning, A Fundamental Practical Theology
Analysis of informal activities