Quantifying the Impact of Managed Care

Quantifying the Impact of Managed Care PowerPoint PPT Presentation


  • 48 Views
  • Uploaded on
  • Presentation posted in: General

Download Presentation

Quantifying the Impact of Managed Care

An Image/Link below is provided (as is) to download presentation

Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.


- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - E N D - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Presentation Transcript


1. Quantifying the Impact of Managed Care Dr Jonathan Broomberg Head: Strategy and Risk Management Discovery Health (Pty) Ltd

2. Agenda

3. Discovery’s Approach to Managed Care

4. Discovery’s Approach to Managed Care

5. Methodological Considerations

6. Which interventions should we evaluate? Specific clinical protocols / interventions Measurable reduction in incidence x cost saved per incident Application of specific rules to individual claims Claimed vs paid Negotiated tariffs and Alternative Reimbursement Models Relative to industry benchmarks Specific price savings due to negotiations

7. Selective review of some managed care interventions

8. Selective review of some managed care interventions

9. Managing the admission rate

10. Managing the admission rate 1.8% reduction from 2005 to 2006 2.1% reduction from 2006 to 2007 Overall 3.9% reduction over 2 years despite ageing and deteriorating case mix

11. Managing the admission rate

12. Interventions to reduce length of stay

13. Hospital tariffs & Alternative reimbursement models

14. Surgical Devices: Key Short Term Strategies

15. Cost effective use of medicines

16. Significant early progress

17. Medicine management

18. Medicine price negotiations

19. Medicine Management

20. Summary of managed care cost savings

21. Comments on ROI Estimates Highly conservative Excludes all standard managed care interventions Hospital pre-auth Bill audit review Length of stay intervention Excludes all interventions with professionals and Pay for Performance initiatives Excludes all disease management interventions HIV Diabetes Others Excludes all quality of care initiatives Hospital Adverse event interventions Rating Index

22. Conclusions

23. Quantifying the Impact of Managed Care Dr Jonathan Broomberg Head: Strategy and Risk Management Discovery Health (Pty) Ltd

  • Login