The Water Cycle. (Ground water). California Marine Protection Areas. http://www.dfg.ca.gov/mlpa/pdfs/southcoast_isor_040710.pdf . Recommendations for San Diego. CONSERVATION (SHORT TERM & LONG TERM) • Implement the Regional Model Landscape Ordinance.
The Water Cycle
California Marine Protection Areas
Recommendations for San Diego
CONSERVATION (SHORT TERM & LONG TERM)
• Implement the Regional Model Landscape Ordinance.
• Work with industry stakeholders to establish educational, training and
certification programs and compliance standards for landscape professionals.
• Work with local nurseries and retailers to promote drought-tolerant
landscaping & indoor water savings devices in their stores.
• Engage in a consistent and effective public education and outreach campaign
on how to achieve indoor and outdoor water conservation.
• Promote incentive-based water conservation rebates and implement more
aggressive residential tiered water rates to encourage users to save.
• Develop a long-term plan to retrofit all government-owned sites (parks, civic
centers, government facilities, freeway & roadway rights of way, etc.) with
drought-tolerant landscaping and weather-based irrigation controllers.
Where replacing landscaping is inconsistent with the intended use (e.g.,
active parks), consider adjustments to the irrigation schedule, install weatherbased
irrigation controllers and remove water-consumptive vegetation where
• Through education and incentives, encourage larger water users such as
apartment and condominium complexes and commercial and industrial sites
to install irrigation technologies like drip and weather-based irrigation
controllers and replace water-consumptive vegetation.
Types: Non-Renewable & Renewable (Time frames!)
Examples of each?
-Stripped, Mountain-top removal
Wells: Drilled on land or offshore
(Worldwide is about the same)
Drill Baby, Drill! Arctic National Wildlife Reserve