MALWARE. Tomas Kegel Sørensen Esben B. Larsen Christoph Froeschel Magnus Koch ITU Copenhagen 07.11.2008. AGENDA. PART I: INTRODUCTION TO MALWARE PART II: MOBILE MALICIOUS CODE PART III: PURPOSE OF MALWARE PART IV: AVOIDING MALWARE . PART I: INTRODUCTION TO MALWARE.
Tomas Kegel Sørensen
Esben B. Larsen
ITU Copenhagen 07.11.2008
- typically, user interaction is required for propagation, such as running a program or opening a document file.
- is a program thatcopiesitself over computer networks, infectionmachines in remote locations.
Definitions of commonattacks
- is a program thatseems to do somethingusefullorinteresting, but actually runs maliciouscodebehind the scene.
- Eg. Screen savers
- a commonuse is a ”trap door” thatenables a maliouscodeadversarydiscreet acces to the machine at a future date.
- are programs thathibernatesuntil at specified event happendsoruntil a condition is true.
- effectivewhencoupled to a virus
Need Host Program
1: User Education & restricted user privileges.
2: Avoiding common software “packages”
3: Anti-virus software (locally and at network gateways.)