3. Management Information Systems (MIS). Management Information Systems is the application of technology to solve business problems.An MIS professional will apply technology to integrate and support business activities such as Accounting, Finance, Marketing, and Management.MIS students learn to
2. 2 Information Systems and Analysis Department
Bachelor of Business Administration in Management Information Systems (MIS)
Minor in Management Information Systems (MIS)
3. 3 Management Information Systems (MIS) Management Information Systems is the application of technology to solve business problems.
An MIS professional will apply technology to integrate and support business activities such as Accounting, Finance, Marketing, and Management.
MIS students learn to analyze, design, develop, and maintain Information Systems to support business activities.
4. 4 MIS in Action In 2005, Wal-Mart attained more than $285 billion in sales – nearly one-tenth of retail sales in the U.S. – in large part because of its RetailLink System, which digitally links its suppliers to every one of Wal-Mart’s 5, 289 stores worldwide. As soon as a customer purchases an item, the supplier monitoring the item knows to ship a replacement to the shelf.
Every time a dress shirt is bought at a JCPenny store in the U.S., the record of the sale appears immediately on computers in Hong Kong at its supplier, TAL Apparel Ltd., a large contract manufacturer that produces one in eight dress shirts sold in the U.S. TAL decides how many replacement shirts to make, and in what styles, colors, and sizes, and then sends the shirts to each JCPenny store. JCPenny’s shirt inventory is near zero, as is the cost of storing it.
5. 5 MIS in Action Information and Technology – Essential to Business!
Think of the airline industry
Search for current low prices
Frequent flier programs
Partnerships (EX: American Airlines Plus Citibank)
Information and Technology enables much of this experience.
6. 6 What’s Different About MIS? MIS CIS
Focus: Business Software
Objective: More efficient or effective business Reliable computer program
Core skill: Problem solving Logic/procedures
Core task: Determine business requirements Deliver information systems
for information systems to meet defined requirements
Starting title: Business Systems Analyst Application Programmer
Career goals: Senior organizational manager Programming manager
College home: Business Arts & Sciences
7. 7 Curriculum MISY Core:
MISY 3310: Principles of Management Information Systems (SAP)
MISY 3340: IS Infrastructure
MISY 3350/3360: Java/Visual Basic
MISY 3370: IS Analysis and Design
MISY 4370: ERP Overview (SAP)
MISY 4350: IS Project Management
MISY 4380: IS Development
MISY 4390: Business Intelligence (SAP)
MISY 3395 : E-Commerce Design and Development (SAP)
8. Software Taught SAP
Visible Analyst (CASE Tool)
MS Office 8
9. 9 SAP Some of our MIS courses are integrated with SAP R/3 (http://sap.com) – the world’s leading producer of business software.
Today, more than 46,100 companies in more than 120 countries run SAP applications.
Locally, the Petrochemical Industry is the single largest employer, and they rely very heavily on SAP to integrate their business activities.
The SAP-enabled MIS courses increase the marketability and starting salary of our MIS students to a great extent.
10. SAP-Enabled Courses SAP has been incorporated into four classes offered by the Information Systems Department:
MISY 3310 Principles of Management Information Systems
SAP Production and Purchasing Module
MISY 3395 E-Commerce Design and Development
SAP NetWeaver and SAP Visual Composer – Enterprise Portals
MISY 4370 ERP Overview
SAP Overview of multiple modules
MISY 4390 Business Intelligence
SAP Business Information Warehouse Module
Upon completion of any three SAP-enabled classes, students are provided with a certificate from Lamar/MIS stating that they have 75 hours of hands-on SAP training. 10
12. 12 Christus Hospital Saint Elizabeth
13. 13 What Kind of People Pursue MIS? People who…
Are good problem solvers
Can think strategically about technology
Like the freedom to develop and then the responsibility to implement their ideas & solutions
Can bridge both technology and business
Can see both details and the big picture
Are excellent communicators
Can manage time and resources well
…make excellent MIS students & professionals
14. 14 What About a Double Major or a Minor? MIS goes very well with:
Redesigned for flexibility
18 additional hours
- 4 Core classes:
MISY 3310 MISY 3340 MISY 3370 MISY 4370
- 2 Elective classes: MISY 3395 MISY 3350/3360
15. 15 How to Get Started? Contact Information To learn more about our MIS undergraduate programs, SAP Alliance, and MIS careers, you may call 880-8635 (leave your number) or email [email protected] to make an appointment.
You are encouraged to bring a parent/guardian on the day of your appointment.