Bugs, Germs, Diseases and Other “Nasties”. Pacific EMPRINTS Presentation August 1, 2006. PRESENTED BY:. John Casken, RN, MPH., PhD., Fellow, Royal Society of Health (U.K.) Director, Office of International Affairs School of Nursing and Dental Hygiene University of Hawai`i at Manoa
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
Pacific EMPRINTS Presentation
August 1, 2006
What is a “bug”?
1) Something small that is making us sick.
2) Something we catch from someone else or from something like food that has gone “bad.”
The inside of bodies is often an excellent place with everything that a bug needs!
1. They often can move a little bit where they are living but can’t make big moves.
2. They need a carrier:
1. Avoid problem areas and sick people
2. Long lasting protection, such as vaccinations and immunizations – “shots”
3. Short lasting protection, such as bug spray
To date the most talked about solution is social isolation for two weeks.
1. We’d still need to clean up the virus
2. How would your community cope with no one working for 2 weeks?????
Enjoy your stay in Honolulu.