L I F E S C I E N C E. Smoking An Addiction Prepared By Margaret E. Rousset. Missouri ABE/ASE Content Standards. Adult Education Content Standards for Roles in the Family, the Workplace, and the Community Science and Technology
Margaret E. Rousset
Science and Technology
GOAL 2: Develop an understanding of the individual’s role in maintaining good personal, family, and community health.
Standard 4: Explore the impications of substance use and abuse.
NO FORM OF TOBACCO IS SAFE!!! NOT CIGARETTES, NOT CIGARS, NOT CHEWING TOBACCO OR PIPES. THEY ARE ALL DANGEROUS BECAUSE THEY ALL CONTAIN CHEMICALS THAT KILL!!!!
3. In the U.S., smoking kills more people than cocaine, heroin, alcohol, fire, automobile accidents, homicides, suicides, and AIDS combined.
4. Reports of the Surgeon General conclude that smoking cigarettes causes heart disease, lung and esophageal cancer, and chronic lung disease. Cigarette smoking contributes to cancer of the bladder, pancreas, and kidney.
7. Women who smoke increase their risk of dying from lung cancer by nearly 12 times and the risk of dying from bronchitis and emphysema by more than 10 times.
8. Smoking triples the risk of dying from heart disease among middle-aged men and women.
9. 90% of adult smokers are addicted to tobacco before they reach the age of 18.
10. 50% before the age of 14.
48 million adults smoke in the U.S. (22.9% of the population, overall) 33%of youth currently smoke.
440,000 people die needlessly every year.....1,200 people who die every day.... because of their addiction to cigarettes
Two Indian smokers, one enjoying a cigarette, the other after being operated on for cancer.
Impotency (The inability to have an erection.)
You get the idea….
The taxes are expected to raise about $35 billion over the next 5 years to provide medical coverage to an additional 4 million uninsured children. The tax on cigarettes is one component of the Children’s Health Insurance Program Reauthorization Act, an expansion of the insurance program, signed into law Feb. 4, 2009 by President Barack Obama.