EUROPEAN REVERT MUSLIMS. Presented by Rabi’atul ‘Adawiyah bt. Abdul Razak Nurul Liyana bt. Kamarul Fitri Munira Iskandar Edited by Dr. Md. Mahmudul Hasan International Islamic University Malaysia 2010. Muhammad Asad (1900-1992). Life. His original name is Leopold Weiss.
Rabi’atul ‘Adawiyah bt. Abdul Razak
Nurul Liyana bt. Kamarul Fitri
Dr. Md. Mahmudul Hasan
International Islamic University Malaysia
- Muhammad: in honour of the Prophet
- Asad: lion (as a reminder of his former name)
Islam at the Crossroads Asad.
The Message of the Quran Asad.
Novelist, Journalist, Muslim Scholar
Decision? Asad. because of the promise of "Eastern sunshine, palm trees, camels desert sand, as of a Paradise . . .”
"a Soldier of faith! True Servant of Islam!"
Essays: the Church of England.
Experiences that led him to Islam:
1. Algerian War of Independence (1961)
- found himself at the middle of a bloody guerilla warfare between French troops and the Algerian National Front that had been fighting for Algerian independence for the past 8 years.
-witnessed cruelty and massacre faced by Algerians.
-everyday at least a dozen were killed only for being an Arab or for speaking for independence.
"I witnessed the the Church of England. patience and resilience of the Algerian people in the face of extreme suffering, their overwhelming discipline during Ramadan [kept fasting], their confidence of victory [pray and depend on Allah] , as well as their humanity amidst misery.”
- Amazed with the patience of Algerians.
2. Islamic Art the Church of England.
3. Christian the Church of England. doctrines
He could not accept that:
When studying the Qur’an, he found the verse that provides answer to his dilemma:
“…no bearer of burdens shall bear the burdens of another” (Qur’an 53: 38).
- After that he prepared a 12-page manuscript about things that he considered unquestionably true from a philosophical perspective.
-He asked a Muslim Imam to have a look at his manuscript.
-The Imam said, “If you believe in what you wrote, then you are a Muslim!”
-A few days later he declared himself as Muslim and pronounced shahadah.
1984: German President, Dr. Carl Carster awarded him the Order of Merit of the Federal Republic of Germany for his service to the country.
- Although he used to love red wine very much, now he would politely refuse the offers of alcohol.
-As a Foreign Service Officer, he occasionally had to arrange luncheon for foreign guests. During Ramadan he would participate in the lunch, but with an empty plate in front of him.