Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use only and may not be sold or licensed nor shared on other sites. SlideServe reserves the right to change this policy at anytime. While downloading, If for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
1. 5 Steps to Heaven A Rolls-Royce Perspective
2. 2 2008 Rolls-Royce plc
3. 3 2008 Rolls-Royce plc Rolls-Royces four markets
4. 4 2008 Rolls-Royce plc Rolls-Royce Group plc - 2007
5. 5 2008 Rolls-Royce plc Video: New Thinking, Joined Up Thinking'
6. 6 2008 Rolls-Royce plc
7. 7 2008 Rolls-Royce plc Changing Customer Requirements Traditional Support
Repair & overhaul
8. 8 2008 Rolls-Royce plc The EHM Transformation Staircase - Defence
9. 9 2008 Rolls-Royce plc Total Care Simulation - Example
10. 10 2008 Rolls-Royce plc Total Care Simulation- video
11. 11 2008 Rolls-Royce plc
12. 12 2008 Rolls-Royce plc
13. 13 2008 Rolls-Royce plc Legacy data is largely unstructured and is captured and stored in a variety of ways.
Development of ontologies for hardware description, failure mechanism etc. allow us to make sense of unstructured legacy data.
K-Search provides a means of interrogating legacy data and presenting structured search results back to the user
K-Search is a learning system that builds an understanding of document content such that after the learning process >95% rate of correct automated document content classification can be achieved.
14. 14 2008 Rolls-Royce plc
15. 15 2008 Rolls-Royce plc Marine Off-shore Supply and Service Vessel
16. 16 2008 Rolls-Royce plc
17. 17 2008 Rolls-Royce plc
Leading edge burns away over time
Causes: cooling blockage, oxidation
Condition that typically occurs on high time engines (primarily on-condition engines)
Causes increased stress on the 1st stage blade leading to high cycle fatigue (secondary damage)
Turbine blade fracture leads to in flight shut down and a 2x shop visit cost
18. 18 2008 Rolls-Royce plc Vane distress showed up as performance changes.
Data fusion allows clear signature to be set
Fuel flow, turbine temp, pressure & speed
50 hour window after detection with 96% confidence of preventing HPT blade failures
Allows time to schedule removal
Thresholds set to balance false positives and false negatives
Relatively small number of false alerts and false negatives
19. 19 2008 Rolls-Royce plc
The alternative of not having EHM for this issue
Allow HPT-1 blade failures
Pull engines in mod campaign
Implement a 50 hr boroscope inspection interval
8 yr EHM Savings estimated at over $60M
Based on mod campaign or inspections both ($$$$)
Savings continue as engines age and experience vane distress
20. 20 2008 Rolls-Royce plc So Whats the Problem ?
21. 21 2008 Rolls-Royce plc Quantitative User friendly Intelligent Collection of Knowledge (QUICK)
22. 22 2008 Rolls-Royce plc QUICK video: Innovation Award
23. 23 2008 Rolls-Royce plc Novelty Thresholds Bayesian EVT
24. 24 2008 Rolls-Royce plc Example results 826 tests
25. 25 2008 Rolls-Royce plc
26. 26 2008 Rolls-Royce plc Different perspectives system boundaries
27. 27 2008 Rolls-Royce plc EHM Intelligence Dichotomy Fleet centred view - the realisation of full value by having an accurate, real time fleet view of the state of all assets
Platform centric view - Devolving EHM intelligence to the local platform to compensate for:
limitations in communicating with a central information hub (a lack of infrastructure and capacity)
Requirements for assets to operate and be maintained autonomously
Concerns for data privacy and IPR
28. 28 2008 Rolls-Royce plc
29. 29 2008 Rolls-Royce plc Vision: The Operations Room of the Future?
30. 30 2008 Rolls-Royce plc
31. 31 2008 Rolls-Royce plc