管 理 學 ( MANAGEMENT ). 交通大學 管理學院 運輸與物流管理學系 任維廉 William Feb. 2014. First, make yourself a reputation for being a creative genius. Second, surround yourself with partners who are better than you. Third, leave them to get on with it. —David Ogilvy. 管 理 學 第一章 管理 與 組織 之基礎簡介.
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
First, make yourself a reputation for being a creative genius. Second, surround yourself with partners who are better than you. Third, leave them to get on with it.—David Ogilvy
Master of Business Administration
1.1 Why are Managers Important?
1.2 Who are Managers?Where do they Work?
1.3 What Do Managers Do?
1.4 How is the Manager’s Job Changing?
1.5 Why Study Management?
1. Organizations need their managerial skills and abilities more than ever in these uncertain, complex, and chaotic times.
2. Managerial skills and abilities are critical in getting things done.
3. Managers do matter to organization. The quality of the employee/supervisor relationship is the most important variable in productivity and loyalty.
升遷哲學（一）by 好友 廣平兄基層爬升靠努力， 中階突圍憑關係， 高來高去是政治， 下台背影須美麗。
The Peter Principle: Why things always go wrong?In a hierarchy, every employee tends to rise to his level of incompetence.
Peter’s Corollary In time, every post tends to be occupied by an employee who is incompetent to carry out its duties.
1. 原因：...... always reward good work with promotion to a more senior job, and rarely punish bad work with demotion.2. 有何負面影響？對員工個人，對組織。
1. 針對顧客需要，整合公司資源及人才，（提出新 方向）創造價值的人。
2.Someone who coordinates and oversees the work of other people so that organizational goals can be accomplished.
比較：firm, industry, business
*work is defined by job positions, permanent jobs,
*individual-oriented, command-oriented, rule- oriented……
*work is defined in terms of tasks to be done, temporary jobs,
*team-oriented, involvement-oriented, customer-oriented……
What is Management? 定義最難！
* I’m the best! Vs. We are the best!
討論：doing the right things right.
－doing a few right things right－
1. 功能 (function), process, content
* 區分Management VS. Business functions
2. 角色 (role)
3. 技巧 (skill)
4. Others, e.g., Attitude: Believes, Action, Guts, Ethics
Changing Technology (Digitization)
Increased Emphasis on Organizational and Managerial Ethics
Increased Security Threats
a company’s ability to achieve its business goals and increase long-term shareholder value by integrating economic, environmental, and social opportunities into its business strategies.
1. Universality of Management: The reality that management is needed.
2. The reality of work: Employees either manage or are managed.
3. Rewards and challenges of being a manager.
*responsible for creating a productive work environment
*receive recognition and status in organization and community
*receive appropriate compensation in form of salaries, bonuses, and stock options
*can be a thankless job
*may entail clerical type duties
* managers also spend significant amounts of time in meetings and dealing with interruptions
*managers often have to deal with a variety of personalities and have to make do with limited resources
1. Case study: a manager’s dilemma
2. Thinking critically about ethics dilemma
3. Skills exercise
4. Team exercise
5. To be a manager (Internet-based exercise)
1. Case study: a manager’s dilemma (p.28)
(1) Identify and articulate business problems
(2) Gather and analyze information applicable
(3) Identify and apply an appropriate tool for solving problems.
2. Thinking critically about ethics (p.46)
(1) Identifies Dilemma.
(2) Considers Stakeholders
(3) Analyzes Alternatives and Consequences
3. Skill exercise: political skill (p.47)
4. Team exercise: characteristics of good managers (p.47)
5. To be a manager (Internet-based exercise) :5 master managers (p.47)
Bill Gates, Warren Buffett, Steve Jobs, David Ogilvy, Richard Branson, Louis Gerstner, Andrew Grove, Jack Welch, Larry Page, Elon Musk (p.35), 謝家華 (Zappos, p.91), 豐田章男(Akio Toyoda, p.75), 平井一夫, 柳井正, 李健熙, 李嘉誠, 柳傳志, 任正非, 張瑞敏, 馬雲, 張忠謀, 施振榮, 郭台銘, 張榮發, 戴勝益 ……
1. Explain why managers are important to organizations.
2. Tell who managers are and where they work.
3. Describe the functions, roles, and skills of managers.
4. Describe the factors that are reshaping and redefining the manager’s job.
5. Explain the value of studying management.
Australia 41.9 percent
Canada 36.3 percent
Germany 35.6 percent
Japan 10.1 percent
Philippines 57.8 percent
United States 50.6 percent
Women in Top
1. Peters, T. J. & Waterman, R.H., In search of excellence, 八個共同特徵
2. Pascale, R.T. & Athos, A.G., The art of Japanese management, 七S架構
3. Grove, A. S., High output management, 生產，槓桿，組織，激勵
4. 其他：中譯本，華人企業管理，computer game, role play……
7. Shared Value