Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use only and may not be sold or licensed nor shared on other sites. SlideServe reserves the right to change this policy at anytime. While downloading, If for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
1. Georgia Constitution of 1777 &The Articles of Confederation
3. SS8H4 a Analyze the strengths and weaknesses of both the Georgia Constitution of 1777 and the Articles of Confederation and explain how weaknesses in the Articles of Confederation led to a need to revise the articles.
4. EQ: What were the strengths and weaknesses of the Articles of Confederation and the Georgia Constitution of 1777?
How did past experiences influence the Articles and the Georgia Constitution of 1777?
5. Georgia Constitution of 1777 Georgia had already had a set of ?rules and regulations?
They needed more than ?rules and regulations?
In 1777 Georgia adopted a new constitution
6. Under the new constitution:
Separation of Powers
Legislative: Makes the laws
Executive: Enforces the laws
Judicial: Interprets the laws
7. The legislative branch had the most power of all three branches
Unicameral System (one house)
They could enact laws and appoint officials to the judicial and executive branches
9. Power was limited due to the bad experience with Georgia?s royal governors
The new governor was elected by the legislature and only spent a year in office (one year term)
The governor had power in name only
The legislature had all the executive power
Veto and grant pardons
10. County Setup The constitution setup 8 counties
Each county had its own officials, courthouse, schools, and militia
Each county also had a Superior court
11. Problems Many people are still loyal to Britain, and want to see the new government fail
New political groups (Whigs) are struggling for power
Bad relationships between backcountry and city political groups
12. Duel to the Death Lachlan McIntosh vs. Button Gwinnett
May 16, 1777
McIntosh calls Gwinnett ?a scoundrel and lying rascal?
Pistol duel outside Savannah
Both are wounded: Gwinnett dies 3 days later