Bellringer. Download today’s notes: Causes of War Answer the following question: 1. What would you do if someone made you a promise and then broke it? How would you respond? Would you trust them in the future? Why or why not?. Treaty of Versailles. Rise of Hitler. Rise of
World War II
Appeasement – giving in to an enemy’s demands in hopes of avoiding further conflict
France and Great Britain condemned Germany but did not do anything about it.
Wanted to keep peace in Europe, didn’t want to go back into war.
In the midst of the Great Depression, distracted by their own problems.
Convinced that Great Britain nor France would use force against him.
Threatened to invade Austria if Austrian Nazis weren’t put in charge of government – Austria gave in
Hitler annexed Austria to Germany in 1938
Why was Hitler interested in Austria?
The nonaggression pact shocked the world.
It also gave Hitler the freedom he needed to attack Poland.
Invaded Poland in Sept. 1939 – Britain and France declared war on Germany
1. Why did Britain and France adopt a policy of appeasement?
2. What regions did Hitler annex or take over?
3. How did the Nazi-Soviet Nonaggression Pact help lead to World War II?
1. What territories did Japan acquire between 1933-1941?
2. What was a key motivation for Japan’s plans to expand into the Soviet Union, China, and French Indochina?
3. What do you think the U.S. was doing during this time of German and Japanese aggression?
HITLER’S WWII PARTNERS
THEALLIED POWERS IN WWII
Now that we’ve discussed the beginning of the war, pick one of the main causes of the war from the next slide.
Write one FULL paragraph (5-7 sentences) on paper that explains what the cause is and HOW it led to the beginning of WWII.
You may use your notes, class discussion, and the internet to help, BUT DO NOT COPY AND PASTE.
We will turn this in for a grade!
World War II