Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
1. Western Sahara By:
2. Who ? Special Representative of the
Julian Harston (United Kingdom)
Force Commander – Major
General Kurt Mosgaard
3. Who? Continued… A total of 229 uniformed personal including
6 police officers
195 military observers
Supported by 100 international civilian personal
137 local civilian staff
24 United Nations Volunteers
4. Who? Continued… Some Countries that have supported the cause by contributing some of there military personal are; Austria, Egypt, France, Poland, and Italy just to name a few. Over 26 have contributed there military personal.
Fatalities- 5 military personal, 1 police officer, 1 military observer, 2 international civilian personnel, and 5 local civilian personnel making a total of 14.
5. What is happening? September 1991 Morocco and the Frente deployed POLISARIO and MINURSO to monitor the ceasefire and to organize referendums (ask questions and allow the people of Sahara to vote on it)
There is a referendum happening in Western Sahara that is causing the people to choose between independence and integration with Morocco.
Now the UN is trying to help the people of the territory (Western Sahara) to decide on territory’s future status.
Before the UN stepped in to help this conflict it had been happening for 30 years, and that includes 16 years of war.
6. Where is all of this happening? The location if this event is in the Western Sahara desert (use to be a Spanish colony).
Western Sahara is a territory on the west coast of the continent of Africa beside Morocco, Mauritania and Algeria. Morocco and Mauritania both own for territory in the desert.
The main headquarters for this event is Laayoune, Western Sahara.
8. When? 29th of April in 1991 to present is when the referendum started.
A 30 years if conflict
A 16 year war
9. Why is this happening??? The reason why this referendum is happening is because morocco wants the land that they claim as there's and wants it for there own and the people of Western Sahara want to decide on there own future.
10. Random Facts During the 16 years of war
Morocco Built a sand wall
in Western Sahara called
the ‘berm’. It is 2000 km long and is still there today. Both Morocco and Frente POLISARIO.
11. Bibliography http://www.un.org/Depts/dpko/missions/minurso/index.html