Home front Mobilization in Germany….. The Holocaust. In early 1942, Hitler had put unto action what he called the final solution to his Jewish program. Nazi soldiers rounded up Jews form all over Europe and shipped them to concentration camps.
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
In early 1942, Hitler had put unto action what he called the final solution to his Jewish program.
Nazi soldiers rounded up Jews form all over Europe and shipped them to concentration camps.
In these camps, Jews were used for slave labor, subjected to medical experiments, were beaten shot and/or put to death in gas chambers.
Their bodies were buried in mass graves or incinerated (burned).
Mobilizing for the War
Propaganda – information or ideas intentionally spread widely to help harm a person, group, or nation
Three different types:
Dehumanizing the enemy
Lying / dishonest
War Productions board (489)
Tuskegee Airmen (492)
Rosie the Riveter- the famous poster of Rosie the Riveter (right) assured American women that they were strong enough to handle the challenges of wartime factory work.
Nylon Stockings were used to supply defense needs for the war. Nylon became important to the war effort because it was used, for example, in parachutes and tires.
These were gardens that people grew in response to the fact that they didn’t get enough food from rationing and/or they didn’t like the rationing system
While taxes provided for 40% of the cost of the war, the remaining 60% was burrowed from Americans.
The government sold bonds (certificates) that promised that the government would pay the holder the amount burrowed plus interest. In other words, if you brought a bond from the government you would get your money back plus interest.
The government used the money it burrowed to help with the war.
This bill made the American Dream a reality for millions of WWII veterans.
War veterans were provided with free education (to college), unemployment allowances, homes, farms, and business loans.
This bill led the growth of suburban neighborhoods!
1943 Detroit Race Riot
Racial Tensions explode in many areas. One of which was in Detroit. This was called the 1943 race riot of Detroit. Whites were killing blacks.
Six thousand soldiers had to come to Detroit to control crowds and restore order.
In 36 hours, 25 African Americans and 9 whites lost their lives and nearly 700 people were injured.
Also, $2 million worth of property was destroyed.
Zoot Suit Riots
Mexican Americans in Los Angelo's faced discrimination and prejudice.
This prejudice led to the hate of Hispanic American teenagers, many of whom wore zoot suits.
Zoot suits set Hispanic teenagers apart from the rest of the society.
Many who wore zoot suits were underemployed teenagers
Soldiers blamed zoot suitors for stabbing and robbing military personnel.
Sailors cruised the streets of L.A. and beat up teenagers who wore zoot suit.
FDR signs Executive order 9066 and other legislation that gave the military the power to exclude people of Japanese descent from areas that were deemed important to US national defense and security.
Japanese had to relocate to Internment Camps.
Regardless of your social status (i.e. rich, poor, doctor, lawyer, business owner), you had to move from your home and lose your belongings……and move to an internment camp with other Japanese Americans.
Americans discriminated against many Japanese Americans.
On August 6, 1945, the U.S. dropped an atomic bomb, code name Little Boy, on the Japanese city of Hiroshima, in hopes that Japan would stop fighting (surrender) in the war.
This atomic bomb killed 100,000 people instantly and another 100,000 died later from burns, radiation and other wounds.
When Japan did not surrender, the U.S. dropped a second atomic bomb on the city of Nagasaki on August 9th (3 days later). *Code name of this bomb: Fat Man.
Five days later (August 14th), the Japanese government surrendered and WWII was over.
Bomb on Hiroshima and Nagasaki:
President Truman scheduled an invasion of Japan, instead scientist introduced Truman to another option, which was using (the first) atomic bomb.
Truman used the atomic bombs on Japan with hope of ending the war without an invasion
The bomb code name was Little Boy wand was dropped o the Japanese city of Hiroshima on August 6th 1945.
When Japan still did not surrender, the U.S. dropped the another atomic bomb on the city of Nagasaki on August 9, 1945.
Hiroshima killed: 200,000 people and destroyed 4 square miles of the city.
Nagasaki killed 40,000 Japanese citizens
Japan surrendered on August 14, 1945.