CSIS 3600 Systems Analysis and Design. Information Systems Projects/Project Plan. What is Project Management.
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
CSIS 3600 Systems Analysis and Design
Information Systems Projects/Project Plan
To be successful in project management, you should be aware of some of the common pitfalls that can lead to project failure:
Poor People Management that results in:
The Greatest Trait for Success is the ability to Manage Expectations
Failure to achieve consensus on these dooms a project before it even starts (Whitten & Bentley, 1999)
You must record three X.s
No row may contain more than one X.
No column may contain more than one X.
Project – Land Man on the Moon before End of Decade and before USSR
Priority One was the Scope
Priority Two was deadline (USSR was ahead in the space race)
Priority Three was cost – Cost control is a priority but we may to ‘accept’ cost overruns to achieve the scope by the required deadline.
Success is not pre-destined
Step of the task (220.127.116.11)
Step of the task (18.104.22.168)
Task (1.1.3) …..
Suggested estimation technique:
ED = [OT + (x * MLT) + PT]/ y
Common x factor = 4
Common y factor = 6
2 Primary Factors of Software Estimation
User Function Types
Function Points Continued
What is COCOMO
COCOMO II Measures
Scale Drivers in COCOMO II
A development process, methodology, and even a well-defined plan, do not ensure quality. Quality must be managed. Quality begins with establishing standards.
Figure 3-10a -A Gantt Chart
Activity Progress Representation on Gantt Chart
Links to sample project plans are found under Lecture Notes.
Top 10 Signs of IS Project Failure:
10. All software purchased is Version 1.0.
9. All hardware purchased come from a discount company called Kludges "R" Us.
8. Project manager is spotted reading PCs for Dummies
7. Application developers think Java OLE is something to be ordered at a coffee shop.
6. Network administrators question the usefulness of an ATM system that doesn't accept bankcards.
5. Hardware technicians try to use RAID to cure software bugs.
4. Size of database balloons reaches IWSTBTB (It Wasn't Supposed To Be That Big) proportions.
3. Consultants revamp system architecture, which had been totally revamped only a month ago by a different group of consultants.
2. After system is finally deployed, end users mistake their computer mouses for foot pedals.
1. CIO is seen faxing resume.
(as published by Cahners Publishing Company, a division of Reed Elsevier Business Information, Inc.)