Karim Dewji Senior Project 2010-2011 Government Teacher: Mr. Zufall English Teacher: Ms. Dickinson. Essential Question How does commonly used modern technology such as the cell phone, Internet, and video games positively and negatively affect society today?. Cell Phones – The Positives.
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
Karim DewjiSenior Project 2010-2011Government Teacher: Mr. ZufallEnglish Teacher: Ms. Dickinson
How does commonly used modern technology such as the cell phone, Internet, and video games positively and negatively affect society today?
- Mobile access from cell phones to Facebook increased by 112 percent in the last year.
- According to web.mit.edu, 65 percent of phones sold in the second quarter of 2008 had the option of storing music.
-Popular phones such as the iPhone and Droid offer this option.
- According to techcrunch.com, 172 million smart phones were sold world wide in 2009. The number was a 3 percent increase from 2008.
- According to a gadgets.com survey, 96.3 percent of adults claimed to have a phone with a camera.
- In a prediction by iSuppli.com, 79.9 percent of cell phones sold in the fourth quarter of 2011 will be equipped with GPS.
- According to frankwbaker.com, 75 percent of kids from the ages of 12-17 had cell phones in 2009. This was a 30 percent increase from 2004.
- According to technology.inc, cell phones are used for business related tasks such as Internet, data storing, memo recording, GPS, employee communication, etc.
- In the USA, there are about ten major cell phone companies, and numerous smaller ones.
- Cell phones are used in classrooms for notes, Internet, etc.
- In a study, kids scored better on an IQ test when Mozart was playing in the background.
- Rather than making calls through a front office, direct contact with the student can be made.
Noah Graff: What are you most excited about for the future of cell phones?Scott Goldman: The ability to continue to make and receive calls anywhere is still the killer app for cell phones. As coverage improves, it just makes life easier for everyone. I also think that the location-based services – the ability to know whether or not your friends are nearby, whether or not there’s an ATM machine that fits your profiles nearby, whether there’s an open pizza place at 11:00 at night nearby – are terrifically exciting and have a brilliant future through the use of mobile devices.
- American Academy of Sleep Medicine study found that excessive use of cell phones can cause restlessness, insomnia, and stress.
- Sociologists and researchers have found that while users are on cell phones, attention span is highly decreased.
- In the world’s largest study, it was found that heavy users of cell phones have a 40
percent higher chance of getting brain cancer than people who don’t heavily use cell
- According to a study by the National Safety Council, 28 percent of car accidents involve talking or texting on a cell phone.
- Cell phones and the batteries from cell phones are not bio-degradable.
- Many birds accidentally run into these towers at night while traveling at full speed. They are often killed in result of this.
- Studies from FuturePundit show that one in six cell phone users is addicted.
- According to consumerreports.com, an average user spends about $600 a year on mobile service.
- Many times, false rumors are sent out in situations such as lockdowns.
- When Internet connection is available, students have a very easy opportunity to cheat using cell phones.
Dr. George Carlo: “The studies are of adults who have used the phone for 500-1000 minutes a month, maybe for a period of 10-12 years. And those studies are showing us doubling and tripling in the risk of brain cancer and eye cancer.”
- iTunes by Apple offers music and video downloading, as well as many other things.
- Wikipedia.com alone has 9.25 million articles in 250 different languages.
- In 2008, USA e-sales made up 16.3 percent of total sales from all merchant sales.
- Addictinggames.com has thousands of games in eight different categories.
- The artist Justin Bieber became a hit artist through expressing his talent on YouTube.com.
- Most states, countries, territories, etc. have their own websites which provide access to things such as culture, tradition, lifestyle, etc.
- According to warriorlibrarian.com, there are around 240,000 educational websites on the Internet.
- The Internet has digitally enhanced search engines compared to a library where you have to manually search for information.
- Yahoo.com, Apple.com, Bodybuilding.com, moddedmustangs.com, etc.
- Bankofthewest.com, Target.com, Ticketmaster.com, hotwire.com
- Craigslist is a free tool used for local selling, trading, and buying. Craigslist receives about 40.8 million hits a month.
- A letter through e-mail can be received by the recipient in 10 seconds compared to three days with traditional mail.
- Made possible through chat rooms such as chatroulette.com and tinychat.com
- Skype, ooVoo, MSN, Tinyjack
- Conference calls made available on services such as ooVoo and Skype.
- KRQE.com, KOAT.com, and KOBTTV.com post all TV-aired news casts online.
- According to webmd.com, about 63.1 percent of adults are either overweight or obese in the U.S.A.
- Due to humans being used to getting information so fast, patience slowly goes down.
- On average, it is said that about 60 percent of Internet facts are true.
-Search engines such as Google can acquire this information as soon as it’s posted.
- Search engines such as Google can acquire this information as soon as it’s posted.
- Bad grammar, incorrect spelling, etc.
- According to familysafemedia.com, there were about 4.2 million pornography websites on the Internet when last checked in 2006.
- On the TV show To Catch a Predator, about 5 online sexual predators are caught each episode.
- According to cwot.com, there was estimated to be over one million viruses in 2009. All these viruses started from file sharing.
- According to mywot.com, there was an estimated 150 billion spam mails sent a day in 2008.
- According to slashgear.com, 95 percent of music and videos downloaded is pirated.
- According to mentalhealth.com, video games distract the mind from pain.
- According to mentalhealth.com, the games teach people to self-regulate brain waves. This helps improve the learning process.
- According to associatedcontent.com, a study showed that video games can improve hand eye coordination as much, and sometimes more than sports.
- In a survey by Pew Internet & American Life, it showed that 76 percent of youth played with someone else at least some of the time.
- Children feel the comfort of having a friend through video games.
- Online gaming such as Xbox Live, PS3 Online, and Internet computer games connect gamers from all over the world.
- According to media-awareness.ca, constantly playing with other people teaches us great teamwork skills, in a slow and effective way.
- Games such as Call of Duty: World at War, Age of Empires Gold, Conflict Vietnam, etc.
- Trains you to map real life scenarios
- Budget Hero, Typing of the Dead, Do I Have a Right?
General Life Skills:
- Video games constantly require decision making. The constant practice of decision making makes you better at it.
- Many video games require you to do the most things with the least resources. This teaches excellent resource management.
- According to a study by the National Institute of Media and the Family, 8.5 percent of youth are addicted to video games.
- According to a survey from Buffalo University, limiting video game time from kids showed a decrease in their overall Body Mass Index.
- According to a Dalhousie University survey, they concluded that motion games don’t really provide many health benefits.
- According to associatedcontent.com, lots of play overloads stimuli in the brain, which can ultimately cause seizures.
- Games such as Grand Theft Auto make acquiring $100k as easy as pressing a few buttons.
- In South Korea, a 15 year old boy beat up his little brother because he wanted to know how it felt to beat someone up in real life. The teens had just got done playing a fighting game.
- Video game prices range new from about $25 for a computer game to $50 for a higher end system game.
- Most consoles start at about $200, and go up from there.
- According to a survey from crunchgear.com, four percent of Americans have pirated a game once or more times in their life.
- People sometimes blow off their homework, because they are too distracted by the want to play video games.
- At 5 ounces and a little bit bigger than the average calculator, the Gameboy Advance SP is an easy thing to hide from teachers.
- Teachers are often forced to look out for these devices rather than being able to focus their efforts on teachings.
Senior Project Survey
Bias: People who actively use these forms of technology.
Who will be surveyed: The survey will be given to seven youth (under 18), seven adults (18-64), and seven senior citizens (65 and older). This will give an insight of all the different age groups.
1) Have you ever used a cell phone to get yourself out of an emergency?
Youth: 5/7 said yesAdults: 7/7 said yesSenior Citizens: 7/7 said yes
2) Has your privacy ever been invaded in some way due to your ownership of a cell phone?
Youth: 7/7 said yesAdults: 4/7 said yesSenior Citizens: 2/7 said yes
1) Have you ever used the Internet to either Instant Message or Instant Call to someone that is long distance?
Youth: 6/7 said yesAdults: 5/7 said yesSenior Citizens: 5/7 said yes
2) Have you ever found your computer with a virus due to malicious files from the Internet?
Youth: 6/7 said yesAdults: 6/7 said yesSenior Citizens: 5/7 said yes
1) Have you ever used video games as a social activity to connect with others?
Youth: 7/7Adults: 7/7Senior Citizens: 7/7
2) Have you ever found video games to distract you from important things that you need to get done in your daily life?
Youth: 7/7Adults: 3/7Senior Citizens: 1/7