A Novel View of Spacetime Permitting Faster-than-Light Travel. Gregory V. Meholic Greg.V.Meholic@aero.org. February 10, 2004 Space Technologies and Applications International Forum Albuquerque, NM. Discussion Topics. Relativistic Symmetry The Tri-Space Universe Tri-Space Architecture
A Novel View of Spacetime Permitting Faster-than-Light Travel
Gregory V. Meholic
February 10, 2004
Space Technologies and Applications International Forum
* More detail tomorrow at 11:30 am, Session F06
Combining two equations of Special Relativity yields the following relationship of mass, energy and velocity:
Then, normalize with respect to velocity and get:
Plot the results...
-v = c
v = c
Since “negative” quantities are not well understood,
only the upper-right quadrant represents the “Tri-Space” universe.
Figure from Puscher, E. A.,
“Faster-than-Light Particles: A Review of Tachyon Characteristics,”
Paper N-1530-AF, Rand Corporation, Santa Monica, CA, 1980.
v = c
2) LUMINAL SPACETIME:Real E, mo=0
Time = space
v always = c
For a given absolute energy at any point in space, three possible sets of physical laws simultaneously exist, each defining a unique
3) SUPERLUMINAL SPACE:Increase E = Lower v
t goes forward
c is slowest speed
1) SUBLUMINAL SPACE:Increase E = Higher v
t goes forward
c is fastest speed
Tri-space consists of TWOspaces separated by ONEspacetime.
EM radiation and
Spacetime “thickness” or ZPF (?)
(strings, quant. foam)
How can Tri-Space allow for FTL travel?
2) Process converts superluminal energy into mass and subluminal mass into energy.
1) Create a “field” to force subluminal quarks into superluminal space.
3) Superluminal mass can now travel FTL in superluminal space by field interaction with “stationary” EM radiation.
Vessel traverses subluminal space while traveling through superluminal space
4) When the destination is reached, the field reverses polarity to force superlight quarks back into subluminal space.
Other FTL Travel Concepts
- Disturbance created in spacetime
- Access to multi-dimensional space (?)
Matter energy transferred from one space to another through spacetime
Vessel travels through holes, warps, folds, or hidden dimensions in spacetime
Vessel traverses subluminal space by traveling through superluminal space
- Absolute throughout tri-space
- Conserved between spaces
- Large amounts required
- ‘Negative’ energy required (?)
- Sometimes instantaneous - no causal effects
- ‘Negative’ energy may pose issues
- No causality effects
- Time travel not possible
- Unknown, difficult or impossible
- Destination known beforehand
Possible in superluminal space
(similar to subluminal space)
- No guarantee of FTL velocities
- Quantum effects not defined
- “Brute force” to get to FTL velocities
- No ‘negative’ quantities required
- Transition to FTL state at subatomic level
What else can Tri-Space suggest an explanation for?
* Covered in next slides
** More detail tomorrow at 11:30 am, Session F06
Subluminal mass feels repulsive gravity from “dark” superluminal source
v = c
Dark Matter is proposed to be mass in superluminal space that can only be“seen” by its repulsive gravitational energy in subluminal space.
The mass feels INERTIA
Primary gravity well
Backwards tug from primary well
begins to recover
Recovery surge for steady-state
Gravity well broadens
Inertia is resultant effect when an object “climbs” out of its own primary gravity well and is generated when spacetime resists changes in its topography.