Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
1. Sustainable Science: Green Chemistry in your Classroom
5. Risk = f(hazard,exposure) Do we consider our level of exposure and the hazard itself?
Does the dose makes the poison?
6. Safety first… and last
9. Law of Conservation of Matter Matter cannot be created or destroyed.
A candle burns and appears to be destroyed, but..turns into less observable gas (a byproduct).
11. Ibuprofin synthesis Prior to 1990s each step produced waste and had 40% atom economy
Now atom economy is around 77%
(ideal is 100%) with much less waste.
13. Strategies for reducing waste Reduce
14. Use safer solvents for chemical processes Return safe substances to the environment
Design for biodegradability
Eliminate the use of toxic solvents to dissolve reacting materials
15. Clock Reaction
17. Using Renewable Resources A sticky solution: Making glue from milk!
19. Green Chemistry means... Preventing pollution before it happens rather than cleaning up the mess later.
21. Green Chemistry lessons at www.greeningschools.org Green Your Lesson Plan
Select “Green Chemistry” under Chemistry category
Filter for classroom lessons