Georgia State University Series. Cochlear Implants Part 2, Presentation 1 July 2001. Cochlear Implants. Dr. Easterbrooks. What is a Cochlear Implant?.
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
Georgia State University Series
Part 2, Presentation 1
The cochlear implant (CI) is a prosthetic replacement for the inner ear (cochlea) and is only appropriate for people who receive minimal or no benefit from a conventional hearing aid.
The cochlear implant bypasses damaged parts of the inner ear and electronically stimulates the nerve of hearing. Part of the device is surgically implanted in the skull behind the ear and tiny wires are inserted into the cochlea.
- beginning studies of electrical stimulation on humans
- active research of electrical stimulation in human ears
- first wearable implants designed for long-term stimulation
- commercial development of the cochlear implant device began
- United States Food & Drug Administration (FDA) granted the first approval for implantation in adults
- FDA granted approval for cochlear implants in children
- cochlear implantation is a safe and effective medical procedure for individuals who are severely to profoundly deaf with minimal benefits from conventional hearing aids
Candidates for implants are adults or children (two years or older) with all of the following:
* weekly adjustments of the MAP and communication therapy for the first month.
* treatment focuses on auditory training, speech reading, music, telephone use & communication strategies.
* after the initial 3 month period, children are usually seen every 3 months for the first year and every 6 months for the second and third years. Thereafter, they are seen annually.
* MAP is closely monitored.
http://www.listen-up.org “Mapping for Dummies”
The CHOICE is YOURS