Literacy Connections. Kelly Clark KDE October 23 2013. Old definition of science literacy. Read something Do comprehension questions Maybe do an activity Write something Say something. New Literacy. Ask a compelling question
October 23 2013
in reading, writing, speaking, listening, and language be a shared responsibility within the school.
Focus more attention on disciplinary practices
But let’s take a deeper look at Standardsthe identified practices, even the ones that don’t explicitly mention argument, reasoning, or talk.
2. Developing and using models
3. Planning and carrying out investigations
In order to learn HOW to
or analyze data,
or use appropriate tools,
students have to participate in these practices, with others.
• Externalize their thinking;
• Listen carefully to one another
and take one another seriously;
• Dig deeper into the data and
evidence for their positions;
• Work with the reasoning of others.
Sample Performance Tasks
A Three-Part Model for Measuring Text Complexity
Qualitative dimensions of text complexity
(2) Quantitative dimensions of text complexity
(3) Reader and task considerations
Science, technology, society and the environment