Understanding Intercultural Communication Second Edition. Chapter 2 What is Intercultural Communication Flexibility? Stella Ting-Toomey & Leeva C. Chung OXFORD UNIVERSITY PRESS. PowerPoint Slides Designed by Alex Flecky and Noorie Baig. TODAY’S MENU.
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
Understanding Intercultural Communication Second Edition
What is Intercultural Communication Flexibility?
Stella Ting-Toomey & Leeva C. Chung
OXFORD UNIVERSITY PRESS
PowerPoint Slides Designed by Alex Flecky and Noorie Baig
I. Defining Intercultural Communication:
A Process Model
II. Practicing Intercultural Communication Flexibility
III. Developing Intercultural Communication
IV. Deepening Intercultural Process Thinking
Person B’s cultural frame of reference
Person A’s cultural frame of reference
1. Flexible and inflexible intercultural communication
2. Ethnocentric and ethnorelative mindset
- Stuck in own cultural worldviews, using our own cultural values as standards to evaluate others’ behaviors.
- Viewing our cultural way of living as “natural” and what’s going on in other cultures as “unnatural.”
- Understanding behavior from the other person’s cultural frame of reference.
- Suspending ethnocentric, reactive judgments and engaging in a systematic cross-cultural comparative analysis.
- Promoting a respectful, inclusive climate via competent communication skills practice.
A. Three Content Components:
Knowledge, Attitude, and Skills
B. Three Criteria:
Appropriateness, Effectiveness, and
1. Unconscious incompetence: blissfully ignorant
2. *Conscious incompetence: semi-awareness
3. Conscious competence: “full mindfulness”
4. Unconscious competence: “mindlessly mindful”
* Pretty Woman – Which stage are the women in at the store on Rodeo Drive? What lesson did Julia Roberts teach them?
Movie Analysis: Outsourced film clip
Questions to think about:
-- Need 3 - 5 volunteers to take a walk outside and be
prepared to visit a new culture.
-- Inside the classroom: Get ready to play. Will give you the Nacireman cultural values and rules.
-- Enjoy! Play out and dramatize your new roles.
Realize that ICC often involves these principles:
A traveler without observation
is like a bird without wings…
~ Author unknown