EUROPEAN APPLE PROMOTIONAL PROGRAMME. 2007-2010 France - Italy - Netherlands. INTRODUCTION. Product : fresh apples . Target : 3 European markets : France , Italy and the Netherlands. INTRODUCTION. Context :
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
France - Italy - Netherlands
Product : fresh apples.
Target : 3 European markets :
France, Italy and the Netherlands.
- At a European level, there is now a general awareness regarding the increase of obesity among adults and children and the need to promote a healthier lifestyle.
- In European countries, consumers do not eat enough fruits and vegetables, due to several factors : insufficient knowledge, lack of accessibility and convenience, competition of unhealthy snacks, increase of meals taken outside.
- Eating not enough fruits and vegetables has a bad impact on health and various bodies have recently developed campaigns to boost F&V consumption.
- Increasing importance of the workplace as number of hours spent in the office keep rising. This is a good place to stimulate the consumption.
In France, the PNNS (Programme National Nutrition Santé) encourages the consumption of at least 5 F&V every day. INTERFEL (Interprofession des Fruits et Légumes frais) also promotes the consumption of F&V from 5 to 10 per day and more recently, has developed the concept that “half of the plate” should be F&V.
In Italy, INRAN (National Institute for Research on Food and Nutrition) regularly publishes Guidelines for Healthy Nutrition (last version: 2003). Furthermore, a 5-a-day program has been developed in 2003/2006 by UNAPROA (National Union of Fruit and Vegetable Producers), under the label “5 colors of wellness”.
In the Netherlands, the Dutch promotion office for fruits and vegetables promotes the consumption of F&V.
Apple production is important in Europe, representing a total volume of 6.6 million tons in 2006 (Prognosfruit) in the EU-15 and 9.5 million tons in the EU-25.
Production in Italy, France and the Netherlands :
Italy : 1.949.000 tons
France : 1.584.000 tons
Netherlands : 347.000 tons
TOTAL 3.880.000 tons
Apples have many strengths to be highlighted :
- Large range of varieties (from the sweetest to the most acid) with a huge range of flavors,
- Large possibilities of uses (raw or cooked, in cold or hot dishes, in sweet or salty preparations, at or out of home, etc…)
- Healthy facts (balanced diet, fibers, anti-oxidants, cardiovascular protection…)
- Accessibility, convenience.
To develop consumption of apples in Italy, France and the Netherlands especially among the low-consumers category
- young adults (18-35 years old)
- middle age adults (35-50 years old)
- children and teenagers
- Increase frequency of consumption among the low consumers
- Good fruit, easy to consume every day (the frequency has to be highlighted),
- Huge range of varieties, and large possibilities for different type of consumption,
- Highlighting the beneficial effect of a well-balanced diet, where consuming apples is the primary point,
- Easy in-between consumption (snacking)