Measure by Measure A Comprehensive Look at Publishing Metrics . Publishing Business Conference March 24, 2009 Peter Hutchinson www.theMagazinist.com. “That Which Is Measured Improves”. What you measure reflects how you manage. Our Agenda. Overview
Measure by MeasureA Comprehensive Look at Publishing Metrics
Publishing Business Conference
March 24, 2009
“That Which Is Measured Improves”
What you measure reflects how you manage.
Q&A and comments throughout… please.
There’s no value in meaningless metrics
Examine causes, not just symptoms.
1. Renewal percentage
2. Ad revenue per page (yield)
3. Ad revenue per reader per year
4. Manufacturing and distribution cost per copy
5. Productivity, especially ad sales
6. Ad-edit ratio
7. Cost of sales (advertising and circulation)
8. 2-Year P&L per sub (revenue - acquisition cost) in key sources.
9. Market share in ad pages.
10. Profitability of reader-based and ad-based operations
Staff productivity the critical measurement
Operational efficiencies the critical measurement
Cost of growth (or savings in reduction) the critical measurement