情态动词. 一 . 情态动词的种类及表示的含义 . 1. 情态动词的含义 2. 情态动词 + 完成式. 1 .can 1 ） can not help + 动名词 , can not help but + 动词原形 , 意为 “不禁 ,,,”, “ 忍不住 …” 2 ） cannot/ can never…too 表示 “无论如何 … 也不过分” , “ 越 … 越好” You cannot be careful when you drive a car.
1）can not help + 动名词,
can not help but +动词原形,
意为 “不禁,,,”, “忍不住…”
2）cannot/ can never…too
表示 “无论如何…也不过分”, “越…越好”
You cannot be careful when you drive a car.
A. very B. so C. too D. enough
3）can not but + 动词原形 “不得不”
He can not but agree
I cannot but admire him.
1）may well+动词原形,意为 “have good reason to do”.
2）may(mignt) as well+动词原形,意为: “had better”, “不妨…”, “还是…的好”.
e.g 1) If you don’t like to swim, youstay at home.
A. should as well B. may as well
C. can as well D. would as well
2) She may well say so. 她有理由这么说.
1) He said to me, “I want to go to the grocery, but you _with me.”
2) No one that to his face.
A. dare to say B. dare say
C. dares saying D. is daring say
4.must not 和need not
must not表示禁止,是说话人强有力的劝告或命令,意为 “一定不要,不准”。因此，在回答由must引导的问题时，如果是否定的回答，表示 “不必,没有必要”,不能用shouldn’t,而要用needn’t或don’t have to.
You mustn’t forget to post the letter.
You mustn’t breathe a word of this to anyone.
We must hurry, we mustn’t be late.
You must not tell others./You needn’t tell others.
Must I do it now? No, you needn’t.
e.g Mary’s score on the test is the highest in her class; she__ have studied very hard.
A. may B. should C. must D. ought to
1) must have done表示对过去行为的非常肯定的推测.
2) can/could not have done表示对过去行为的否定推测.
3) could have done表示过去可以完成,但事实上并没有实现的事情.
4) may/might have done表示对过去事情可能性的推测,也可表示对本来可能发生而实际并未发生的事情表示 “感叹”或 “遗憾”,并含有 “劝告,责备”的语气.
5) should/ought to have done表示过去本应该做的事情由于某种原因并没有做.
6) should not /oughtn’t to have done表示过去发生了不应该发生的事情.
7)needn’t have done表示本来不必要做的事情已经做了
1) Youher in her office last Friday; she’s been out of town for two weeks.
2) The room is in a terrible mess; itcleaned.
3) With all this work on hand, heto the cinema last night.
4) Youall those calculations! We have a computer to do that sort of thing.
7. had better +动词原形,
would rather (sooner) +动词原形+than+动词原形
否定式为 had better not，疑问句把 had放在主语前。
Yougo by air.
C. have better not D. had better not
2） would rather意为 “宁愿,宁可”,后接动词原形,否定式为would rather not,疑问句把would 放在主语前。
would rather(sooner)…than意为 “宁愿……而不”, than后面接动词原形(不带to)。
He would ratherthanthe secret.
I would rather you her the bike the other day.
1. This penhis; he was not here in the morning.
A. mustn’t B. can not be
C. should not be D. may not be
2. We came early and had to wait for an hour before the concert began. We.
A. should not hurry B. must not have hurried
C. need not hurry D. need not have hurried
3. You don’t needfor his permission every time you want to use these instruments.
A. to ask B. ask C. asking D. being asked
4. come out at night?
A. Does he dare B. Dare he to C. dares he D. dare he
A. needs not be changed. B. doesn’t need changed
C. need not to be changed D. doesn’t need to be changed.
6. The planealready. It is not due to go until four o’clock this afternoon.
A. can’t have taken off B. Must not have hurried
C. need not hurry D. won’t haven off
7. You in rain yesterday without an umbrella. No wonder you caught such a bad cold.
A. mustn’t walk B. mustn’t have walked
C. couldn’t have walked D. shouldn’t have walked
8. Now that I have carried out the work now, Ias well go with you to play football.
A. could B. should C. may D. will
9. Marybe present at the ceremony tonight, but she isn’t very sure yet.
10. Youacross the road without looking around. Youdown by a car.
11. He stayed up until midnight writing a report, but in fact heit to the next day.
12. The alarm clock didn’t ring this morning. Iit last night.
13. I can’t find my dictionary. Cathy must have taken it away by mistake yesterday, ?
14. But for the flood, the railwayby the end of the last month.
A. ought to be completed B. ought to have been completed
C. might be completed D. should be completed
15. I cannot help buta person who is reluctant to complain about his problems.
16. Hethe boy, but he couldn’t hold back his temper.
17. Young and inexperienced as she is, she away by mistake yesterday, the risk.
18. When it comes to the great development in modern technology, peoplethe fantastic spurt in communication system.
19. The shop manager always stressed to his employees, “we can never bepolite to our customers.”
20. He regretted missing a golden opportunity. In fact, hethe job when it was offered.